Community Caregivers celebrates 25 years of service in Londonderry
Volunteers, clients and staff enjoyed an evening of celebration and memories Saturday during Community Caregivers of Greater Derry’s 25th anniversary party at the NH Aviation Museum.
Community Caregivers of Greater Derry, located in the Derry Masonic Temple, has proven a godsend for area seniors struggling to maintain their independence.
Volunteers assist their homebound clients with rides to medical appointments, household chores and anything else they might happen to need.
“It’s hard to believe it all began in one room in a Londonderry office park,” Executive Director Cindee Tanuma said, noting that at one time the organization’s headquarters consisted of one small room with two part-time staff members.
“We treat all of them like an extension of our family,” Tanuma said. “That’s what we’re all about.”
A former air traffic controller, Pierce said he jumped at the opportunity to lend a hand.
“I just wanted to give back,” he said.
“It’s a good feeling to help someone else,” he said. “We’re all going to get there one day, and there could come a day when I’ll be the one needing help.”
During a visit to Derry Fest, Foley stopped by the Caregivers booth where she chatted with volunteers and staff members. She was immediately intrigued.
“It’s a nice feeling to be able to help empower someone,” Foley added.
Vincent Smith, chairman of the Community Caregivers board of directors, said there’s a constant need for additional volunteers as the organization continues to grow.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Kuster's abortion lies: Claims against Garcia are untrue - 28
- The Obamaconomy: Shea-Porter shows its flaw - 29
- Smith schools Hassan: Leadership in Londonderry - 0
- Where officers live: Manchester is missing the point - 4
- Leo Bernier: For Hillsborough County Commission - 0
- Insurance exchanges Sam's Club or Obama's club? - 11
- Garcia and Guinta: For a change, send them to DC - 22
- Jeanne's travel ban: She doesn't want Obama here - 14
- Making it up: Shameless state Senate attacks - 9
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Another View -- Cass R. Sunstein: The hidden tax you pay when you wait - 0
- NHIAA Tournament Roundup: Campbell boys pull upset - 0
- Marchand scores 2, B's win - 0
- Ex-Nashua deputy police chief sues city and outgoing police chief - 0
- Manchester pub crawl leads to arrest of four - 0
- Shaheen, Brown supporters gather at final debate - 1
- Senate candidates sharply divided on Islamic threat, Ebola, Obamacare - 16
- Stocks up on GDP, earnings - 0
- Rocket blast damps Orbital as commercial space rush lures rivals - 0
Trump fired up over NH mailer
School's out for voters