Home » Opinion » Editorials
Left to die: No help in Hudson
When police are called to respond to a suicidal person, they have an obligation to act. When Hudson police were called to the home of Matthew Banks, they found a tube connected to the tailpipe of his car.
Susan Mead, outreach director for the Greater Nashua Mental Health Center, who has been training police officers around the region for several years including officers in Hudson, said it succinctly: "If someone's suicidal, you want to bring them in and have them assessed," Mead said.
Hudson police have recently released documents related to their response, but have failed to explain the rationale for their actions.
The next day, about 6:30 p.m., the woman walked outside and found Matthew Banks attaching the hose once again and called the police.
His widow says police should have done more to keep her husband alive.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Londonderry's Aliza Simpson chooses UNH for basketball - 0
- H.S. Football: Knight leads South past North - 0
- H.S. Football: Trinity, with all the trimmings, runs past Central - 3
- Unchained following 34 years, Thursday's Turkey Bowl is Paul Boucher's last game - 1
- Roger Brown's First & 10: Motivation aplenty for Central and Trinity in Manchester's annual Turkey Bowl - 3
- Martinez, Rodriguez lift Salem past Lawrence - 0
- Roger Brown's First & 10: On any given Thursday - 0
- Roger Brown's First & 10: Crimson glide - 0
- Roger Brown's First & 10: This year, No. 1 is a no-doubter - 1
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Police check out bomb threat at Sanborn Regional High - 0
- John DiStaso's Granite Status: State Sen. Cataldo endorses Joe Kenney in District 1 Executive Council GOP primary - 4
- Abigail's mother speaks of hope on ABC's Good Morning America - 0
- Laconia boys and girls club damaged in burglary - 0
- Fugitive Task Force searching for convicted sex offender - 0
- I-293 North ramp reopens in Manchester - 1
- Enfield man killed in hit-and-run in Vermont - 0
- Snow deal: Plows, snow blowers, shovels all have their benefits and drawbacks - 3
- Dave D'Onofrio's Patriots Notebook: Incredible win tempered by loss of Gronkowski - 0
New UNH logo draws mixed reactions
Enfield man killed in hit-and-run in Vermont
Word of Abby's letter spurs tips of no use