Home » Opinion » Editorials
Arnold's dreams: 'Wouldn't it be nice?' isn't a plan
Taking a moment last week from his bold stand against crime and in favor of more police (with no credible plan to pay for them), Arnold dreamed big and said Manchester should have a "riverwalk" like San Antonio, Texas, has.
Since then, he noted, environmental questions may have made the project even more cost-prohibitive due to the need to put pilings into the Merrimack River in order to support such a walkway.
Arnold neglected to detail the payment plan for such a project, which seems standard for his campaign. He also called for more funding for public education, saying more teachers should be hired.
Arnold also turned snarky, saying past mayors had left the city with lasting legacies such as the Verizon Wireless Arena while Gatsas' "crowning economic development achievement" has been a "grocery store."
The arena was backed by more than one mayor, but it was built because of the work of a dedicated group of volunteers and the specific endorsement of the voters in a public referendum.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Taken for a ride: Hooksett’s Pinkerton deal - 3
- Bedford’s road bond: A good deal for a big fix - 1
- Legislative ethics: NH way works better than most - 0
- Blue shame: Obamacare's big change - 18
- Obamacare's new trick: Only temporary relief - 21
- Banning cell phones: Impulse shopping in the House - 10
- Bad Joe: Levasseur stalls again - 2
- Good Joe: Kenney for Executive Council - 1
- Insurance exchange: NH Dems, GOP switch sides - 2
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Manchester man who defrauded banks in mortgage foreclosure scheme gets 6 years - 0
- March storm brings accumulation mystery, maybe misery - 0
- Manchester’s Slebodnick stars in Cornell’s title win - 0
- NHIAA Girls’ Div. I final four offers intriguing matchups - 0
- Goffstown voters have lots to consider with schools - 0
- With snow budget depleted, Nashua dips into trust fund - 0
- Manchester CrimeWatch: Graffiti charge keeps teen’s bail from changing - 0
- Police union contract a top concern for Bedford voters - 0
- Proposed school budget creates stir in Allenstown - 0
Taken for a ride: Hooksett’s Pinkerton deal
Manchester schools project budget surplus
Dover man found not guilty of sex assault but convicted of drugging three women in Portsmouth