Home » Opinion » Editorials
Arnold's dreams: 'Wouldn't it be nice?' isn't a plan
Taking a moment last week from his bold stand against crime and in favor of more police (with no credible plan to pay for them), Arnold dreamed big and said Manchester should have a "riverwalk" like San Antonio, Texas, has.
Since then, he noted, environmental questions may have made the project even more cost-prohibitive due to the need to put pilings into the Merrimack River in order to support such a walkway.
Arnold neglected to detail the payment plan for such a project, which seems standard for his campaign. He also called for more funding for public education, saying more teachers should be hired.
Arnold also turned snarky, saying past mayors had left the city with lasting legacies such as the Verizon Wireless Arena while Gatsas' "crowning economic development achievement" has been a "grocery store."
The arena was backed by more than one mayor, but it was built because of the work of a dedicated group of volunteers and the specific endorsement of the voters in a public referendum.
READER COMMENTS: 1
- Boutin for Senate: Constituent service for District 16 - 3
- Sanborn for Senate: The obvious choice in District 9 - 2
- Secret arrests: Names contradict ICE narrative - 4
- Little for Senate: A voice for the Upper Valley - 1
- Edwards for Senate: A driven leader for Dist. 4 - 0
- Quieting Keene: Fight for your right to party - 3
- Teacher pay: Treat them like professionals - 21
- School emergencies: A tale of two superintendents - 1
- Tradition wins: The boring lives of rock stars - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Police say man stole lottery tickets from Manchester store - 0
- KSC graduate in town says he aided a wounded party-goer - 0
- 48 set to be cleared after Ebola monitoring - 0
- Weare shakes its head at police department saga - 0
- Keene State College students clean up after mayhem, say weekend riots were not their fault - 1
- Londonderry man killed in I-495 off-ramp crash identified - 0
- Report: Sox may trade Cespedes - 0
- Pearson, Toffoli score in Los Angeles' win - 0
- Monarchs, UNH brace for home openers - 0
Keene Pumpkin Festival has uncertain future
Monitoring social media
Keene State College students clean up after mayhem, say weekend riots were not their fault
Shaheen, in Hooksett, rallies with union
On Obamacare: Shaheen doesn't get it
After riots, soul-searching begins
What rising tide? Kuster vs. Kennedy