Two Milford football players have MRSA
According to a fact sheet sent to parents of students at Milford High School, MRSA (Methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus) is a bacterial infection that most commonly causes skin infections. The bacteria can be spread through skin-to-skin contact, shared use of items including towels, razors and sports equipment, or from coming in contact with other surfaces contaminated with MRSA, the fact sheet said.
Treatment for MRSA can include a taking a prescribed antibiotic and draining the infection. However, if all of the medication is not taken, the infection can become stronger and more resistant to antibiotics, according to the fact sheet.
“Coaches are also working with students and parents on the correct procedures for the cleaning and sanitizing of uniforms and equipment,” said Craven.
The two students diagnosed with MRSA have been successfully treated and have been cleared to return to school, but the source of their infections hasn’t been determined, Craven said.
NH suffers 4th worst outage on record
Camping out didn't pay for shoppers