Home » News » Public Safety
Manchesters's Chez Vachon to reopen Saturday after kitchen fire
A major overhaul was needed in a short amount of time so that the popular restaurant at 136 Kelley St. could open at 6 a.m. for its regular Saturday morning breakfast crowd.
It meant the stove, ceilings and food all had to be replaced, tables and chairs and the restaurant's interior needed a power wash, vents had to be pulled out and cleaned of sooty residue, and walls had to be painted, according to owner Robert Perkins.
"We pretty much did everything, soup to nuts," he said.
Perkins expects the restaurant will get the OK to open once it passes inspection, slated for Friday afternoon.
A neighbor reported the fire after seeing smoke coming from the restaurant about 5:30 p.m. Monday. Firefighters quickly extinguished the flames.
Perkins said a burner on the stove did not turn off completely and a plastic cutting board, placed on top of what was thought to be a cold stove to air dry, caught fire after a few hours.
The blaze heavily damaged the stove, which had to be replaced, but an automatic fire suppression system kept flames from spreading throughout the restaurant.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Lost Massachusetts hikers found safe in NH - 0
- City police schedule community meeting - 1
- Missing Massachusetts woman returns home - 0
- Nashua man's condition upgraded after Hudson bicycle-car collision - 0
- Missing autistic Maine teen found in Jefferson woods - 0
- Nashua bicyclist hurt in collision with car - 0
- Three injured in Route 16 accident in Ossipee - 0
- State fire marshal urges eventual ban on all fireworks - 23
- Manchester welcomes 14 new police recruits - 7
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Speeding stop leads to drug and alcohol charges in Hollis - 0
- Allen Lessels on Motor Sports: Youngsters eye NHMS - 0
- Mark Hayward's City Matters: Manchester's bike culture shifts into high gear - 0
- Ignoring Lyme: What are state, towns doing? - 1
- Dave D'Onofrio's Sox Beat: Red Sox makeover underway - 1
- Tom Herzig's Trackside: MacDonald has NHMS track experience - 0
- Drew Cline: Scott Brown plans to win over NH one handshake at a time - 7
- Anthony M. Kay - 0
- Walsh paces Sweeney Post past Laconia - 0
132-mph street racers blow by trooper in Nashua, one of two arrested; motorcyclist arrested on I-93 doing 107 mph
Police say Manchester woman arrested for punching ex-boyfriend during custody exchange in Walmart parking lot
Bikers say under-30 generation isn't interested, and can't afford many of the top motorcycles
Mount Washington College to close 2 campuses
Ban fireworks? Get serious
GOP criticizes Shaheen over gas tax
Ignoring Lyme: What are state, towns doing?
Sentence fragment: Coco's cuckoo release