Home » News » Public Safety
Air, water search underway in Hampton after capsized boat found
Authorities are trying to locate the owner of this paddle boat found off of North Beach in Hampton Friday morning. (courtesy)
The Coast Guard launched a search and rescue mission with help from local police following the discovery of the 8-foot Pelican paddle boat overturned in the area of North Beach.
Authorities are trying to locate the owner of the boat.
At this point, it’s not known whether anyone was on the boat when it capsized, said Lt. Eric Spragins, command duty officer with Coast Guard Sector Northern New England.
“Right now we're going to continue to search,” he said.
The Coast Guard Station Portsmouth Harbor received a report of the unmanned boat around 10:45 a.m.
The boat was last seen Thursday night near 32 Noreast Lane in Hampton and was recovered near 1070 Ocean Lane in Hampton, officials said.
A camp fire was spotted in the area where the boat was last seen on shore.
Spragins said the Coast Guard is using a helicopter to search by air and a 47-foot motor life boat is also assisting with a water search near North Beach.
Local police are also assisting in the search.
Anyone with information about the case is asked to contact the Coast Guard Sector Northern New England at (207) 767-0303.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Assisted living facility proposed for Londonderry - 0
- Plaistow police chief passes away after battle with cancer - 0
- Fire damages building at Jaffrey transfer station - 0
- Manchester chief now one of 2 finalists for Somerville post - 0
- Coco is back in jail, but maybe not for long - 0
- Jaffrey fire at transfer station - 0
- Manchester police chief a finalist for Somerville job - 2
- Officials probe fire at Jaffrey trash sorting building - 0
- Missing Conway girl's mother not giving up hope - 2
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Portland Sea Dogs get past NH Fisher Cats in righty’s first AA start of season - 0
- Keene Swamp Bats edge Sanford in NECBL action - 0
- Manchester's Hanover St. block party kicks off block party season - 0
- Little, MacDonald 1-2 in wild K&N 100 in Loudon - 0
- Kyle Busch focused leading up to Camping World RV Sales 301 - 0
- Somersworth man charged in three incidents - 0
- Hosts hoping for extended Little League district final - 0
- Manchester forums will allow public to question principal finalists - 0
- NH Supreme Court: Indigent woman entitled to state-funded services - 0
Outrageous waste: You overpaid by how much?
Another View -- Tiler Eaton: The Northern Pass project would help, not hurt, NH's economy
Coco is back in jail, but maybe not for long