Home » News » Public Safety
Air, water search underway in Hampton after capsized boat found
Authorities are trying to locate the owner of this paddle boat found off of North Beach in Hampton Friday morning. (courtesy)
The Coast Guard launched a search and rescue mission with help from local police following the discovery of the 8-foot Pelican paddle boat overturned in the area of North Beach.
Authorities are trying to locate the owner of the boat.
At this point, it’s not known whether anyone was on the boat when it capsized, said Lt. Eric Spragins, command duty officer with Coast Guard Sector Northern New England.
“Right now we're going to continue to search,” he said.
The Coast Guard Station Portsmouth Harbor received a report of the unmanned boat around 10:45 a.m.
The boat was last seen Thursday night near 32 Noreast Lane in Hampton and was recovered near 1070 Ocean Lane in Hampton, officials said.
A camp fire was spotted in the area where the boat was last seen on shore.
Spragins said the Coast Guard is using a helicopter to search by air and a 47-foot motor life boat is also assisting with a water search near North Beach.
Local police are also assisting in the search.
Anyone with information about the case is asked to contact the Coast Guard Sector Northern New England at (207) 767-0303.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Group raising money for family of Raymond man killed by boulder - 0
- Newly renovated Blair Covered Bridge damaged by truck - 0
- Nashua man who died jumping off bridge to escape heat identified - 0
- Pit bull owner sought in fatal attack on another dog near Tuckerman Ravine - 15
- Man's body pulled from Merrimack River - 0
- Free gun lock giveway begins Sept. 1 in Conway - 0
- Victim identified in fatal Pelham motorcycle accident - 0
- Man killed in Pelham motorcycle accident identified as local man, 24 - 0
- Manchester man seriously injured after driving into oncoming traffic - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Goffstown's Bourque impresses; Memorial, Bishop Guertin, Pinkerton win in Queen City Jamboree - 0
- Hanover boys soccer edges defense-minded BG - 0
- NH Fisher Cats, Pierre stun Rock Cats in 4-3 win - 0
- Helping hands for new St. Anselm students in Manchester on move in day - 0
- To market, to market: Market Basket shoppers flock on in - 0
- Nashua Market Basket employee: 'Worth every day of work lost' - 2
- NH teen killers to get sentence reviews after state Supreme Court decision - 1
- Manchester raid came 8 months after home invasion - 0
- NH killer in 1991 Smart trial seeks time with wife - 0
Enter to win tickets to see Paula Poundstone
Where is Shaheen? Hiding from you
Win tickets to see Steven Wright
Hooksett highs: A good multiple choice test