Home » News » Public Safety
Two critically hurt in Manchester wreck
Two men were critically hurt when their car failed to take a turn from Ohio Avenue onto Bridge Street Extension, bounced off a guardrail, and flew some 70 feet into a stand of trees late Friday night. (BILL SMITH)
District Fire Chief Al Poulin told the New Hampshire Union Leader at the scene that the passenger in the Dodge Charger was removed first, but rescue crews had to cut the roof off the vehicle in order to remove the driver.
Initial reports from the scene indicated that there were two people trapped in the car and that it was on fire.
Neighbors said they were startled by sound of the multiple impacts.
Another neighbor said it sounded like the too-familiar sounds she occasionally hears from accidents on Interstate 93 a short distance away.
The Charger was demolished in the crash, and Poulan praised the rescue workers who worked to free the two men.
The car involved in the crash had temporary, 20 day license tags, suggesting the vehicle had recently been purchased from a licensed dealer.
Neighbors said there was a serious crash at the same intersection several years ago in which one person was killed.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Police hope for driving dream, but prepared for driving nightmare in Loudon - 0
- Police investigate serious accident in Manchester - 0
- Wakefield woman dies in crash; Rye woman crashes into utility pole - 0
- Wakefield woman killed in Milton crash - 0
- Portsmouth police locate, arrest driver after accident - 0
- Two vehicle crash in Milton ends with one driver sustaining fatal injuries - 0
- Assisted living facility proposed for Londonderry - 0
- Plaistow police chief passes away after battle with cancer - 0
- Fire damages building at Jaffrey transfer station - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Portland takes first of two from NH Fisher Cats Saturday - 0
- Readers' Choice winners say public vote is meaningful - 0
- Amherst mini-golf course is readers' top choice - 0
- Twins Smoke Shop focuses on good cigars, happy clients - 0
- 'Backstage' NASCAR passes are fans' delight in Loudon - 0
- Motorcyclist killed, passenger injured when hit by car in Manchester accident - 0
- Bonners host charity music festival in Portsmouth - 0
- He knows the Memorial Wall, name by name - 0
- NH to host New England governors, Eastern Canadian premiers in Mount Washington - 0
New Hampshire events starting on July 13
Houston hands Red Sox a loss Saturday
With the NASCAR fans, Jr.'s The Man
VA woes across the country led NH to reforms
Alewives and leeches; fireworks in the rain