Home » Sports » Baseball » Red Sox/MLB
Dave D'Onofrio's Sox Beat: Legacies for a lifetime built or destroyed in October
This reminder is not meant to disparage Ortiz’ career accomplishments, or to dispute the notion that he has been one of his generation’s best postseason performers. Neither of those can be taken away from him. Nor can the plaque. He deserved that, too.
“To me, that’s what the 162 games are for,” Sox manager John Farrell said, “is to get the real pulse of the individual; how they do respond to some of those situations?” Even when that question is answered, though, nobody ever really knows exactly what to expect. There are instances where decent players like Marco Scutaro, Jose Lobaton, Pablo Sandoval and Delmon Young to make a major impact by coming through when it counts. There are instances where players as supremely confident as Dustin Pedroia struggle at the plate before mishandling a routine double play ball and breathing life into a Tiger rally like he did Wednesday.
Ultimately, though, circumstances change and this October’s label won’t necessarily still fit next October when the postseason comes around again, and everybody’s tries in vain to predict what will happen — except for one: Champion.
Dave D’Onofrio covers the Red Sox for the New Hampshire Union Leader and Sunday News. His e-mail address is email@example.com.
READER COMMENTS: 2
- John Stossel: Want to give back? Start a business - 7
- Ted Gatsas and Bob Baines: STEAM Ahead will transform students' lives in Manchester - 5
- Jonah Goldberg: No, Obamacare is not remotely close to fixed - 2
- George Will: A case for containing Iran - 0
- New Hampshire's long-term health continues to decline - 8
- Lou Catano: Non-profit directors know that NH is a special, giving place - 0
- Pat Buchanan: China has begun prowling Asia like a hungry tiger - 3
- Thomas Sowell: Victimhood and race - 4
- Fred Hiatt: While Obama talked, Assad killed - 4
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Two charged with selling heroin in Nashua - 0
- 'Fugitive of the week' arrested in Hooksett - 0
- Dover police arrest 3 on drug charges - 1
- Sports Briefs: No miracle finish for Vonn - 0
- Browns QB Campbell cleared to face Pats - 0
- Bruins defenseman Boychuk's status unknown - 0
- SNHU seeks NCAA title - 0
- Wildcat gridders visit Maine in defining game for program - 0
- Manchester needs more police department argues in staffing report - 3
Reams threatens to sue county commissioners
'Fugitive of the week' arrested in Hooksett
Dover police arrest 3 on drug charges
Conway is heartened by word of her letter
Nashua hero up for Carnegie award
McWages: They're about value
Pot debate precedes legislative hearings
Dingman: 'I try to be a better person'
John DiStaso's Granite Status: Scott Brown says 'nothing is really changed' on political plans
Scott Brown still weighing options