Home » Sports » Baseball » Red Sox/MLB
Dave D'Onofrio's Sox Beat: Legacies for a lifetime built or destroyed in October
This reminder is not meant to disparage Ortiz’ career accomplishments, or to dispute the notion that he has been one of his generation’s best postseason performers. Neither of those can be taken away from him. Nor can the plaque. He deserved that, too.
“To me, that’s what the 162 games are for,” Sox manager John Farrell said, “is to get the real pulse of the individual; how they do respond to some of those situations?” Even when that question is answered, though, nobody ever really knows exactly what to expect. There are instances where decent players like Marco Scutaro, Jose Lobaton, Pablo Sandoval and Delmon Young to make a major impact by coming through when it counts. There are instances where players as supremely confident as Dustin Pedroia struggle at the plate before mishandling a routine double play ball and breathing life into a Tiger rally like he did Wednesday.
Ultimately, though, circumstances change and this October’s label won’t necessarily still fit next October when the postseason comes around again, and everybody’s tries in vain to predict what will happen — except for one: Champion.
Dave D’Onofrio covers the Red Sox for the New Hampshire Union Leader and Sunday News. His e-mail address is email@example.com.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Johnson poised to win sixth Sprint Cup crown - 0
- Hamlin on pole for Sunday's Goody's 500 at Martinsville - 0
- Truck Series will return to Loudon Sept. 20 - 0
- McMurray winsat Talladega.; Jimmie Johnson takes Chase lead - 0
- Tom Herzig's Trackside: Ford Fall Brawl has plenty of big names - 0
- NHMS gets Sprint Cup schedule; trucks returning - 2
- Brad Keselowski outduels Kasey Kahne to return to victory lane - 0
- Harvick takes Kansas; Kenseth’s Nascar Sprint Cup lead dented - 0
- Pines Speedway Reunion set in Groveland, Mass. - 0
READER COMMENTS: 7
- UPDATE: Portsmouth woman, 60, identified after her body is found in creek - 1
- N.Y. man charged with reckless conduct after accidental shooting in Nashua - 1
- Cases against Keene 'Robin Hooders' dismissed by judge - 7
- Task force arrests man in Nottingham for Candia burglary - 1
- Police: Salem man used car keys to stab officer in hand - 1
- Manchester muffler shop burglarized - 0
- Boy, 12, struck in Newton remains hospitalized - 0
- State revenue under projections for November - 1
- Armed man arrested after Manchester convenience store robbery - 0
UPDATE: Could be 'months' before deciding on charges in crash involving Dover city councilor
John DiStaso's Granite Status: Bob Smith ready to hire campaign manager for his 2014 US Senate run
Push to block casino in NH ramping up