Epping School Board says candy corn OK to bring to school
Superintendent Barbara Munsey told the school board that a recent issue involving a teacher who wouldn't allow a preschooler to eat the candy corn she brought to school was a "misunderstanding."
The dispute over the school district's wellness policy began after 4-year-old preschool student Sarah Kelly brought a small bag with a handful of candy corn into the school a few weeks ago to eat with her snack. Her mother, Michelle Kelly, said she gave the candy corn to her daughter as a reward for getting ready for school on time.Sarah had other healthy snacks with her as well and her mother thought the candy corn would be a little treat.
Kelly's fiancé, David Mylott, is the chairman of the Epping School Board and he recently raised concerns about the teacher's claims that parents weren't allowed to send candy in with kids. He argued that the school district could encourage healthy eating, but couldn't tell parents what they could pack for snack and lunch.
At Thursday night's meeting, Munsey told the board that the district's policy simply encourages healthy snacks and meals but doesn't mandate what parents may send in.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Another View -- Tiler Eaton: The Northern Pass project would help, not hurt, NH's economy - 2
- Another View -- Charles Lane: The unintended consequences of our immigration laws are severe - 0
- Rockets are the bitter fruits of Israeli generosity - 0
- John Stossel: Why reporting good news is such a problem - 0
- Jonah Goldberg: In Hollywood, liberal values reign, except at the box office - 1
- Pat Buchanan: Impeaching Obama would be a mistake - 1
- Charles Arlinghaus: Does Concord have a big spending problem? - 1
- Another View - Kevin Smith: Londonderry is showing how to make NH business-friendly - 0
- Thomas Sowell: A primer on race and do-gooders - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Portland takes first of two from NH Fisher Cats Saturday - 0
- Readers' Choice winners say public vote is meaningful - 0
- Amherst mini-golf course is readers' top choice - 0
- Twins Smoke Shop focuses on good cigars, happy clients - 0
- 'Backstage' NASCAR passes are fans' delight in Loudon - 0
- Motorcyclist killed, passenger injured when hit by car in Manchester accident - 0
- Bicyclist injured when hit by car in Hudson - 0
- Police hope for driving dream, but prepared for driving nightmare in Loudon - 0
- Police investigate serious accident in Manchester - 0
New Hampshire events starting on July 13
Houston hands Red Sox a loss Saturday
With the NASCAR fans, Jr.'s The Man
VA woes across the country led NH to reforms
Alewives and leeches; fireworks in the rain