Common Core moves continue in Manchester, Nashua
The Manchester Board of School Committee voted nearly unanimously Wednesday to develop "Manchester Academic Standards" that would make us of the Common Core State Standards, but only as a foundation for a district-wide overhaul of the curriculum, which would draw from multiple sources.
The Manchester district was poised to move forward with curriculum guides developed over the summer to align its curriculum with Common Core. The district paid a Boston-based consulting company $84,000 to assist in the process.
Ben Dick, the president of the city teachers union, said the new proposal has "the potential to be something great."
Banfield of Cornerstone Action said that she and others would be watching closely to ensure that Manchester develops a genuine alternative to Common Core and not the same standards by another name.
Calls to Deputy Education Commissioner Paul Leather were not returned. firstname.lastname@example.org
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Another View -- Tiler Eaton: The Northern Pass project would help, not hurt, NH's economy - 2
- Another View -- Charles Lane: The unintended consequences of our immigration laws are severe - 0
- Rockets are the bitter fruits of Israeli generosity - 0
- John Stossel: Why reporting good news is such a problem - 0
- Jonah Goldberg: In Hollywood, liberal values reign, except at the box office - 1
- Pat Buchanan: Impeaching Obama would be a mistake - 1
- Charles Arlinghaus: Does Concord have a big spending problem? - 1
- Another View - Kevin Smith: Londonderry is showing how to make NH business-friendly - 0
- Thomas Sowell: A primer on race and do-gooders - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Portland takes first of two from NH Fisher Cats Saturday - 0
- Readers' Choice winners say public vote is meaningful - 0
- Amherst mini-golf course is readers' top choice - 0
- Twins Smoke Shop focuses on good cigars, happy clients - 0
- 'Backstage' NASCAR passes are fans' delight in Loudon - 0
- Motorcyclist killed, passenger injured when hit by car in Manchester accident - 0
- Bicyclist injured when hit by car in Hudson - 0
- Police hope for driving dream, but prepared for driving nightmare in Loudon - 0
- Police investigate serious accident in Manchester - 0
New Hampshire events starting on July 13
Houston hands Red Sox a loss Saturday
With the NASCAR fans, Jr.'s The Man
VA woes across the country led NH to reforms