Jun 26, 2014
Jun 20, 2014
Jun 11, 2014
May 29, 2014
Psychiatric unit patient assaults security officer at Elliot Hospital
MANCHESTER — A patient in the secured psychiatric evaluation unit at the Elliot Hospital who was awaiting transfer to the New Hampshire State Hospital attacked a security guard Wednesday night, according to police.
Police said Officer Paul Rondeau, who was at the hospital’s emergency department, assisted hospital security officers in subduing Fern Ornelas, 54, of 54 Lancaster Ave.
Police said hospital authorities reported Ornelas had become increasingly agitated, disturbing other patients. When a hospital security officer asked Ornelas to return to his room, Ornelas allegedly attacked the security officer, punching him repeatedly in the face.
Police said the security officer was forced to engage in a violent struggle, returning blows and deploying pepper spray, but it took additional security officers and Rondeau to finally restrain Ornelas and place him in handcuffs.
Police said both the security officer and Ornelas sustained facial injuries and were treated for their injuries. Ornelas was arrested and charged with simple assault.
In July, a similar incident resulted in serious injuries to a nursing assistant. Don Wayman was beaten by a patient who was awaiting transfer to the state hospital and who was trying to get out of the secured psychiatric unit.
Ansel Kinglocke, 34, former of 495 Old Wellington Road, was indicted in July on first- and second-degree assault felony charges, accused of causing severe injuries to Wyman, who was transferred to a Boston hospital.
Kinglocke was indicted in August by the Hilllsborough County North Grand Jury on a simple assault charge for punching another hospital employee, Melissa Clermont, in the face.
- Mazzaglia to be sentenced Aug. 14 for murder of UNH student - 0
- Man arrested in two Portsmouth robberies - 0
- Manchester man arrested for attempted robbery in Laconia - 0
- Dover man among two sought in connection with Maine murder - 0
- High-speed chase starts in NH, ends in Massachusetts - 1
- Justices send drug case back to Rockingham County Superior Court - 0
- Backlash from former detective's early release increasing - 11
- East Kingston man sentenced to prison in sex assault case - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Lost Massachusetts hikers found safe in NH - 0
- GOP criticizes Shaheen flip flop on gas tax - 6
- No one has a clear claim to NHMS supremacy - 0
- Sentence fragment: Coco's cuckoo release - 0
- Charles Arlinghaus: Does Concord have a big spending problem? - 1
- Ban fireworks? Get serious - 11
- Another View - Kevin Smith: Londonderry is showing how to make NH business-friendly - 0
- Philadelphia outlasts Revolution, weather in U.S. Open Cup - 0
- Rock Cats sweep Fishers in rain-makeup doubleheader - 0
Police say Manchester woman arrested for punching ex-boyfriend during custody exchange in Walmart parking lot
Bikers say under-30 generation isn't interested, and can't afford many of the top motorcycles
Ban fireworks? Get serious
GOP criticizes Shaheen over gas tax
- Total Votes: 917