Home » Sports » Baseball » Red Sox/MLB
Tigers tee off on Peavy, even series
Miguel Cabrera and Austin Jackson each had two hits and two RBIs as the Tigers pounded Boston starter Jake Peavy (0-1) to bounce back from consecutive losses.
Game 5 is Thursday night in Detroit. Fister (1-0) struck out seven and allowed one run and eight hits before departing.
Peavy was torched for seven runs and five hits in three innings to remain winless in four career postseason starts. Jackson drew a bases-loaded walk to force in the first run of the second-inning uprising and Jose Iglesias followed with a fielder's choice to make it 2-0.
Hunter drilled his double down the left-field line and Cabrera capped the frame with a sharp single to center.
Jackson and Cabrera each had RBI singles in the fourth to increase the bulge to 7-0.
Jarrod Saltalamacchia had a run-scoring single in the sixth to get Boston on the board, Shane Victorino delivered a run-scoring double in the seventh and Jacoby Ellsbury had an RBI triple in the ninth for his fourth hit of the contest.
GAME NOTEBOOK: Cabrera has 24 postseason RBIs for the Tigers, breaking Hall of Famer Hank Greenberg's franchise mark of 22. ... Peavy has allowed 21 earned runs in 18 1/3 career postseason innings for a 10.31 ERA. ... Jackson was dropped from the leadoff spot to eighth due to a lengthy postseason slump but reached base four times in Game 4.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- H.S. Football: Knight leads South past North - 0
- H.S. Football: Trinity, with all the trimmings, runs past Central - 3
- Unchained following 34 years, Thursday's Turkey Bowl is Paul Boucher's last game - 1
- Roger Brown's First & 10: Motivation aplenty for Central and Trinity in Manchester's annual Turkey Bowl - 3
- Martinez, Rodriguez lift Salem past Lawrence - 0
- Roger Brown's First & 10: On any given Thursday - 0
- Roger Brown's First & 10: Crimson glide - 0
- Roger Brown's First & 10: This year, No. 1 is a no-doubter - 1
- Roger Brown's First and 10: Concord proves it's the state's best - 1
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Hudson man facing DWI charge after crash - 0
- Minimum wage rally at South Willow McDonald's - 4
- Frisbie hospital seeks hearing on network exclusion, information denial - 0
- Ayotte praised over attempt to change broadband funding - 0
- Pats prepare for Browns' bag of 'tricks' - 0
- Believe it: Celtics are in first - 0
- Vonn finishes training run, mulls entering Friday's race - 0
- Windham teachers' contract in mediation - 0
- College Roundup: Springfield shoots SNHU past FPU - 0
Dingman: Parole me for murder of parents
John DiStaso's Granite Status: Bob Smith ready to hire campaign manager for his 2014 US Senate run
John DiStaso's Granite Status: Scott Brown to be in Londonderry tonight, says 'nothing is really changed' on political plans