UPDATED: Father of missing Conway teen's boyfriend: We want her home
CONWAY — The father of Abigail Hernandez's 14-year-old boyfriend said his son received a text message from the missing teen at 2:52 p.m. last Wednesday, the day she disappeared.
James D. Campbell said Jimmy Campbell last saw Hernandez, 15, as the pair left Kennett High School that day, as Campbell boarded the bus and she headed for home.
"He said she was texting away on her phone as she was walking toward her home," the elder Campbell said.
At 2:52 p.m., as he was riding the bus home, Hernandez texted her boyfriend a heart, James Campbell said.
"That was the last he heard from her," James Campbell said.
At the daily law enforcement news conference Tuesday, Senior Associate Attorney General Jane Young said that previous information indicating that Hernandez's cell phone was last used near Cranmore Mountain Resort at 6:30 p.m. last Wednesday was not accurate.
Fish and Game Maj. Kevin Jordan told a New Hampshire Union Leader correspondent Sunday that the phone was used that Wednesday.
When asked Tuesday night if Hernandez's cell phone is missing, Young would not say.
Search teams again combed the woods in the North Conway area Tuesday, focusing primarily on the Whitaker Woods area.
James Campbell said he was at first angered because there was no Amber Alert issued for Hernandez, but he has since learned that the criterion for an Amber Alert wasn't met.
"She came into our lives nine months ago," he said. "She was my boy's first girlfriend, and he wants his girlfriend home."
Abby Hernandez had become a part of the Campbell family, he said. On Sept. 27, Jimmy Campbell changed his Facebook page profile photo to a picture of him and Hernandez hugging.
"I've never seen her have any problems whatsoever; she is the nicest girl," James Campbell said. "I think of her like my daughter; she's a sweetheart."
Jimmy Campbell is a mechanic-in-training, his father said, and he helps his father work at his business, White Mountain Hauling.
"She used to ride along on runs with us all the time," James Campbell said. "The last time I saw her was the Sunday before she disappeared. We all went to the Fryeburg Fair and had a great time."
Jimmy Campbell is now having a very hard time coping.
"He's such a good boy; he's not into drugs or anything bad, neither was she," the senior Campbell said. "He's freaking. I'm freaking. We're all having a hard time."
James Campbell said he has a large group of friends with ATVs who would like to help in the search for Hernandez, but authorities have declined their help so far.
"They know what they're doing, we know that, but we have made them aware that there's a lot of us out here ready to search if they give the okay," Campbell said.
Anyone with information about Abigail Hernandez is asked to call 1-800-CALLFBI
Previous story follows:
CONWAY — The search for Abigail Hernandez broadened substantially Monday, as police dogs were brought to the grounds near her home and her sister issued a public plea in what authorities are still saying is a missing person case.
"Abby, we really miss you," Sarah Hernandez said at a 6 p.m. media briefing. "We need to know you are safe. Please come home."
She added: "If you know where Abby is, please keep her safe, and let her come back to us."
Abigail Hernandez, 15, was last seen Wednesday walking home from Kennett High School about 2:30 p.m.
After the briefing, Senior Associate Attorney General Jane Young said the growing law enforcement presence in town and the message issued by Hernandez' sister are signs that her family and police believe they will still find her.
Investigators have been using social media extensively, she said, and have hope that the teen may see the message there.
"That's always the hope; we're trying to bring her home safe and sound," Young said.
Young said the family includes Hernandez's mother, Zenya Hernandez, her sister, Sarah, and her father. Zenya and Sarah Hernandez have spoken publicly about the case, but there has been no information released about her father's identity, or where he lives. Young would only say that each family member has been contacted and "they have each been very helpful."
"I won't comment on anything regarding any family members," Young said when asked about Hernandez's father.
At present, Young said, the investigation is not focused on any particular person or in any direction. The search for Hernandez is being considered a missing person case; none of her family members are being sought for criminal reasons, Young said.
"That could change, but we are here in a support role at the moment; there is no evidence to support any criminal activity," she said.
Hernandez's family, she said, is "overwhelmed."
"Her mother is so upset; every time the phone rings, she thinks it's her daughter calling," Young said.
Fish and Game Maj. Kevin Jordan said Sunday the final call on the 15-year-old's cell phone was made last Wednesday about 6:30 p.m. in the vicinity of Cranmore Mountain Resort, not far from the Hernandez home.
Investigators said they have received more than 300 tips, and asked again Monday for the public's help.
"Any piece of information, from anyone, about where she was Wednesday and Tuesday, all of it is needed, even the slightest bit of information might lead us somewhere," Young said.
She explained that the Attorney General's Office, the FBI, and the state police Major Crime Unit have become involved in the investigation mostly to aid in the search. A large law enforcement presence is usually required when the search involves a child.
The Major Crime Unit truck, for instance, has lots of resources that are a tremendous aid in looking for people, even if the case is not considered criminal, she said.
"We have no evidence to support one particular avenue; we still have to look at everything," Young said.