City Year Leadership breakfast draws Manchester business community
City Year Corps member Gabby Betances speaks during the City Year Leadership Breakfast at Beech Street Elementary School in Manchester on Tuesday. (DAVID LANE/UNION LEADER)
Jodi Harper of Granite United Way, who was a City Year volunteer for seven years, said it is a way to change the lives of thousands of kids for the better.
“We owe it to our children,” she said.
Principal Patricia Snow said the City Year team believes in the kids and inspires them to do their best and “truly makes a difference” at the school.
Gov. Maggie Hassan said she fully believes in the power of City Year’s work, a program that has improved attendance and children’s behavior. She said her mother was a high school teacher who taught her one of the most important things for a child was to have a grown-up in his or her corner each and every day. City Year, she said, does that.
READER COMMENTS: 3
- Kayla Bullwinkel: Schools must go after cyber bullies while respecting the First Amendment - 1
- George Will: Obama uses a bludgeon in Wisconsin - 2
- Jonah Goldberg: Feminists freak out over a guy's clothes - 1
- Another View -- Ted Cruz: Don't turn the Internet into a public utility - 8
- Charles Arlinghaus: Divided government keeps bad things from happening - 2
- Thomas Sowell: How race obsession can hurt minority students - 2
- Another View -- Tom Szold: After a 2014 GOP loss, some reflections and second guesses - 14
- Pat Buchanan: The oil weapon in America's hands - 0
- David Harsanyi: A terrible climate deal that doesn't matter - 1
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Police obtain warrants for suspect wanted in Dover, Manchester bank robberies - 0
- Abby Dion, 9, records a 10 in gymnastics meet - 0
- St. A skaters fall to Norwich - 0
- Monarchs lose in OT; win streak stops at 6 - 0
- Police searching for person stealing from cars in Manchester - 0
- College Football: Maine seniors want the coveted musket - 0
- College Hockey: Ice-making problem postpones UNH-PC - 0
- Pinkerton backfield a combination of power and speed - 0
- John Habib's City Sports: State Legion rejects Post 79’s request for senior team - 0
Jury acquits Mont Vernon driver, who was checking text, in death of former Amherst fire chief
Driver acquitted in Amherst ex-chief’s death
A kinder, gentler House Speaker?