Nashua’s school ban on game of tag brings lots of calls, advice
“Almost all of the calls have been from the media or concerned citizens,” said Superintendent Mark Conrad, who added he knew of no calls from parents with children at Charlotte Avenue Elementary.
That may be because the ban on tag at Charlotte Elementary is nothing new. Many parents were probably already aware that a decision to keep the game off the playground was made several years ago, he said.
Conrad said the school’s recess rules became a “media event” after Principal Patricia Beaulieu posted a letter on the school’s website reminding parents that tag was not allowed on the playground. Beaulieu’s letter was written in the wake of eight playground injuries, including broken bones and concussions, since the opening of school, according to the superintendent.
Earlier this year, Windham made headlines when school officials cut dodge ball and nine other “human target” games from the district’s gym classes. Administrators feared the games encouraged bullying. But after a special committee reviewed the games, the Windham School Board voted last June to reinstate them, only with new names. In Windham, kids still play dodge ball, prison ball and slaughter, only now they call those games “cage ball,” “repair shop” and “numero uno.”
“If I was a parent and my child got hurt, I would be very unhappy,” said Board of Education member Steven Haas.
Haas and Conrad both said they understood that a ban on tag strikes a nerve with adults who grew up with the game and lived to tell the tale.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Central High parents reminded to use caution when dropping kids off - 0
- New Manchester school district standards to give teachers more leeway - 4
- Construction to begin on Hollis playground - 0
- New Derry school year launch honors everyday heroes - 0
- Stevens High School in Claremont to have start pushed back to Sept. 10 because of renovations - 0
- Plymouth State's $32 million health, track facility seen as student draw - 1
- Free school meals rejected as Manchester board bucks federal program - 51
- Proposed hike for Manchester's driver education course reversed - 1
- With SNHU merger on hold, search renewed for NHIA president - 0
READER COMMENTS: 1
- Police mum on reported shooting in Manchester - 0
- Manchester men charged with drive-by shooting in Nashua - 0
- Multiple reports say deal reached for Arthur T. to buy Market Basket - 0
- Fisher Cats get behind early, fall to Senators - 0
- Sox downed on pinch-hit homer - 0
- Sister of accused Boston marathon bombers arrested after bomb threat - 0
- Authorities mum about reports of shooting in Manchester - 0
- Bruins agree to long-term agreement with Providence - 0
- Stewart probe goes on - 0
Reports: Market Basket doomsday plan would shutter 61 of 71 stores if deal not struck soon
GOP for legal pot? Hemignway's high help
Ohio's Rob Portman: GOP can win back Senate
Where is Shaheen? Hiding from you