Common Core rejected by Manchester in favor of developing own academic standards
Under her proposal, the Common Core State Standards would serve as the "floor" for the development of the city standards, which would take place over the school year and would make use of several sources.
The 13-1 vote came after nearly two hours of public comments from opponents and, in lesser numbers, supporters of the standards.
Mayor Ted Gatsas said he strongly supported the development of city-based standards, after he did not get satisfactory answers about Common Core and its implementation.
Opponents of the Common Core standards, which have been adopted in more than 40 states, have argued that they would undermine local control and that they rely on unsound principles.
He asked Livingston, "Voting for Manchester academic standards, does that mean 100 percent local control?"
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Student artwork on display in Derry for PTA's Reflections - 0
- $1 million cut from Nashua school budget - 0
- Video on molestation, shown to Manchester 3rd graders, upsets parents - 19
- Claremont high school’s renovation causes upset, sparks inspection - 0
- Nashua school members' letter prompts an apology - 0
- UNH Law named a top 100 law school in magazine’s rankings - 0
- Loeb School spring classes offer career-change chance - 0
- 'Mathletes' chosen to represent NH in national competition - 1
- Pembroke Academy wants to help at-risk students - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- College Hockey: Northeastern wins in OT, forces Game 3 with UNH - 0
- NHGOP: Rand Paul wins straw poll - 0
- Pembroke voters OK clock tower face-lift - 0
- Bath Iron Works gets nod for fifth destroyer - 0
- Groveton backs 'Plan B' for town office project - 0
- Dartmouth under fire for response to incidents of rape on campus - 0
- NH hospital personnel to train for disasters - 0
- Obama's national security aides meet to discuss Ukraine - 0
- Radio host wants official's lawsuit dismissed - 0
Dick Pinney's Guidelines: Online license purchases prove user unfriendly for some hunters and anglers
Auburn native believes in faith and fashion
NHGOP: Rand Paul wins straw poll
Snowmobiler dies; 4th fatality of season
Charles Krauthammer: How to handle Putin
Bath Iron Works gets nod for fifth destroyer
GOP panel stresses teamwork, sincerity