Common Core rejected by Manchester in favor of developing own academic standards
Under her proposal, the Common Core State Standards would serve as the "floor" for the development of the city standards, which would take place over the school year and would make use of several sources.
The 13-1 vote came after nearly two hours of public comments from opponents and, in lesser numbers, supporters of the standards.
Mayor Ted Gatsas said he strongly supported the development of city-based standards, after he did not get satisfactory answers about Common Core and its implementation.
Opponents of the Common Core standards, which have been adopted in more than 40 states, have argued that they would undermine local control and that they rely on unsound principles.
He asked Livingston, "Voting for Manchester academic standards, does that mean 100 percent local control?"
READER COMMENTS: 1
- Reports: Yankees get Red Sox Jacoby Ellsbury - 0
- Vin Sylvia: Making the case for Carpenter - 0
- Vin Sylvia: Newly retired Chris Carpenter planning to move back to NH - 0
- Gomes hopes Red Sox retain all their free agents - 0
- Carpenter lauded as one of Cardinals' all-time greats - 1
- Amherst's Huntington runner-up to Cherington - 0
- Cherington garners Executive of the Year - 0
- Red Sox extend offers to Elsbury, Napoli and Drew - 0
- Dave D'Donofrio's Sox Beat: Redemption Sox - 0
READER COMMENTS: 1
- Hollis school officials call police on Santa Claus - 0
- Rusty water in Manchester caused by water main break in Bedford - 0
- Forecasters eye possible weekend ice storm - 0
- Abigail's mother issues plea for Christmas return - 1
- Fugitive caught hiding under bed in Jaffrey - 0
- Target says data security breach may affect 40 million cards - 0
- Nashua man held in home invasion - 0
- Fugitive of the week: James Porter - 0
- Quick thinking closes the door on Somersworth fire - 0
Snow could reschedule Super Bowl
1 dead following Route 101 crash in Milford
City man charged with endangering child
- Do you like the new University of New Hampshire logo?
- Total Votes: 383