Common Core rejected by Manchester in favor of developing own academic standards
Under her proposal, the Common Core State Standards would serve as the "floor" for the development of the city standards, which would take place over the school year and would make use of several sources.
The 13-1 vote came after nearly two hours of public comments from opponents and, in lesser numbers, supporters of the standards.
Mayor Ted Gatsas said he strongly supported the development of city-based standards, after he did not get satisfactory answers about Common Core and its implementation.
Opponents of the Common Core standards, which have been adopted in more than 40 states, have argued that they would undermine local control and that they rely on unsound principles.
He asked Livingston, "Voting for Manchester academic standards, does that mean 100 percent local control?"
READER COMMENTS: 4
- Pinkerton: 'No surprises' on first day with additional Hooksett students - 1
- Manchester Youth Leadership Academy will start Sept. 23 - 0
- New school year kicks off in style in Wilton/Lyndeborough - 0
- PSU recognizes 3 professors for their scholarship, service - 0
- Unity Elementary School off to late start - 0
- La. Gov. Jindal files federal lawsuit over Common Core - 0
- Central High parents reminded to use caution when dropping kids off - 0
- New Manchester school district standards to give teachers more leeway - 4
- Construction to begin on Hollis playground - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Goffstown's Bourque impresses; Memorial, Bishop Guertin, Pinkerton win in Queen City Jamboree - 0
- Hanover boys soccer edges defense-minded BG - 0
- NH Fisher Cats, Pierre stun Rock Cats in 4-3 win - 0
- Helping hands for new St. Anselm students in Manchester on move in day - 0
- To market, to market: Market Basket shoppers flock on in - 0
- Nashua Market Basket employee: 'Worth every day of work lost' - 0
- NH teen killers to get sentence reviews after state Supreme Court decision - 0
- Manchester raid came 8 months after home invasion - 0
- NH killer in 1991 Smart trial seeks time with wife - 0
Where is Shaheen? Hiding from you
Goffstown's Bourque impresses; Memorial, Bishop Guertin, Pinkerton win in Queen City Jamboree
Enter to win tickets to see Paula Poundstone