Dec 19, 2013
Nov 14, 2013
Nov 6, 2013
Oct 30, 2013
Sex trafficking — 'a largely hidden crime' — happening in NH
According to Zuckerman, there are between 800,000 and 900,000 victims trafficked across international borders worldwide each year, with up to 20,000 victims trafficked into America annually.
Rather than setting up shop in New Hampshire, the traffickers often roll through different sections of the state, blocking hotel rooms or renting apartments for a short period of time in Nashua, Manchester or Portsmouth, he said.
Wednesday’s seminar at the Crowne Plaza Hotel was hosted jointly by St. Joseph Hospital and Covenant Health Systems.
“To think that it is right here on our doorstep is kind of a shocking awareness,” said Catherine O’Connor, vice-president of mission and sponsorship for Covenant Health Systems. “It is here in Nashua, but it is also worldwide. It is everywhere, and it is really disturbing.”
Asian Massage, a Merrimack business that recently opened at 416 Daniel Webster Highway, is still under investigation for allegedly promoting prostitution. The owners — Zhan Wei Liu and Bo Xuan Zhang of 11A East Ridge Road — have since been arrested on fugitive from justice charges stemming out of New York. The married couple is facing numerous charges including two counts of sex trafficking, conspiracy, two counts of falsifying business records, promoting prostitution and two counts of money laundering.
Each year, about 350,000 American children are at risk of being sexually exploited, according to Flores.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Newmarket man indicted on sex assault counts - 0
- Bail set at $2,000 for man accused of $1,950 check forgery - 0
- Vandal slashes holiday display but cannot deflate Christmas spirit - 0
- Mistrial declared in Keene cold-case murder trial - 0
- Grantham man gets prison in shooting death of wife - 0
- Rockingham County attorney suspension continues amid probe - 1
- Jury deadlocked in Keene murder trial - 0
- Home Depot comes through in Derry with new decorations - 2
- Fugitive caught hiding under bed in Jaffrey - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Sabres pull away from Bruins - 0
- Bishop Guertin boys top Salem in OT - 0
- Wildcats will need to contend with Fargodome noise - 0
- Allen Lessels' UNH Notebook: Kicking game could play crucial role for UNH - 0
- State settles $24.5M lawsuit to force help for mentally ill - 0
- Groton Wind turbines slated to start turning again shortly - 0
- Judicial, PUC appointments before Executive Council - 0
- Hooksett man convicted in fatal boating accident - 0
- Seabrook nuclear power plant discussion continues on concrete degradation - 0
Beltran, Yankees make it official
Ice storm threatens the region
Al Baldasaro may run for U.S. Senate
Gun-rights rally against Scott Brown gets rejection from city of Nashua; protesters say event will go on
'Nutcracker' at Stockbridge
Plymouth hosts hearing on bill for tougher scrutiny of power projects such as Northern Pass
- Should applicants for jobless benefits have to pass a drug test?
- Total Votes: 1424