Sep 18, 2014
Sep 4, 2014
Aug 28, 2014
Aug 21, 2014
Sex trafficking — 'a largely hidden crime' — happening in NH
According to Zuckerman, there are between 800,000 and 900,000 victims trafficked across international borders worldwide each year, with up to 20,000 victims trafficked into America annually.
Rather than setting up shop in New Hampshire, the traffickers often roll through different sections of the state, blocking hotel rooms or renting apartments for a short period of time in Nashua, Manchester or Portsmouth, he said.
Wednesday’s seminar at the Crowne Plaza Hotel was hosted jointly by St. Joseph Hospital and Covenant Health Systems.
“To think that it is right here on our doorstep is kind of a shocking awareness,” said Catherine O’Connor, vice-president of mission and sponsorship for Covenant Health Systems. “It is here in Nashua, but it is also worldwide. It is everywhere, and it is really disturbing.”
Asian Massage, a Merrimack business that recently opened at 416 Daniel Webster Highway, is still under investigation for allegedly promoting prostitution. The owners — Zhan Wei Liu and Bo Xuan Zhang of 11A East Ridge Road — have since been arrested on fugitive from justice charges stemming out of New York. The married couple is facing numerous charges including two counts of sex trafficking, conspiracy, two counts of falsifying business records, promoting prostitution and two counts of money laundering.
Each year, about 350,000 American children are at risk of being sexually exploited, according to Flores.
READER COMMENTS: 15
- Dalton man sentenced for assaulting inmate - 0
- Hampstead man accused of sex assaults on girl - 0
- Police say man kills daughter, 6 grandchildren in Fla. murder-suicide - 2
- 2 men arrested in Manchester SWAT raid, drug bust - 4
- 2 women sentenced in Home Depot scam - 0
- Man accused of stabbing man in Concord's White Park - 0
- Friends, co-workers mourn loss of Amherst mother and son - 4
- Vermont father, two sons facing charges for Canobie Lake Park scuffle - 2
- Son used AK-47 to kill mother, then himself in Amherst home - 37
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Scots spurn independence, vote to stay in the United Kingdom - 0
- Roger Brown's First and 10: Answers forthcoming - 0
- NHMS chief Gappens is on board with the Chase changes - 0
- Another View -- Ben Rose: How NH's John Stark helped defeat the British at Saratoga - 1
- Celebrating Claremont: A 250th birthday party - 0
- Trashed lunches: Brownies, broccoli and bucks - 7
- Hampstead's Suess ready for Whelen Modified race - 0
- College Football: Big Green kick off season vs. Cent. Connecticut - 0
- Londonderry Rotary to host forum next week - 0
Supporters eager for Hillary's return to NH
Mark Hayward's City Matters: Dean Kamen is a genius inventor, and he's pretty good at oratory, too
Ayotte pushes bill to combat 'spice'
Casino gambles: Hopes dashed all over
- Mass. Supreme Judicial Court has found upskirt photos taken on a subway aren't illegal. Should such voyeurism be a crime?
- Total Votes: 917