Jun 26, 2014
Jun 20, 2014
Jun 11, 2014
May 29, 2014
Sex trafficking — 'a largely hidden crime' — happening in NH
According to Zuckerman, there are between 800,000 and 900,000 victims trafficked across international borders worldwide each year, with up to 20,000 victims trafficked into America annually.
Rather than setting up shop in New Hampshire, the traffickers often roll through different sections of the state, blocking hotel rooms or renting apartments for a short period of time in Nashua, Manchester or Portsmouth, he said.
Wednesday’s seminar at the Crowne Plaza Hotel was hosted jointly by St. Joseph Hospital and Covenant Health Systems.
“To think that it is right here on our doorstep is kind of a shocking awareness,” said Catherine O’Connor, vice-president of mission and sponsorship for Covenant Health Systems. “It is here in Nashua, but it is also worldwide. It is everywhere, and it is really disturbing.”
Asian Massage, a Merrimack business that recently opened at 416 Daniel Webster Highway, is still under investigation for allegedly promoting prostitution. The owners — Zhan Wei Liu and Bo Xuan Zhang of 11A East Ridge Road — have since been arrested on fugitive from justice charges stemming out of New York. The married couple is facing numerous charges including two counts of sex trafficking, conspiracy, two counts of falsifying business records, promoting prostitution and two counts of money laundering.
Each year, about 350,000 American children are at risk of being sexually exploited, according to Flores.
- Mazzaglia to be sentenced Aug. 14 for murder of UNH student - 0
- Man arrested in two Portsmouth robberies - 0
- Manchester man arrested for attempted robbery in Laconia - 0
- Dover man among two sought in connection with Maine murder - 0
- High-speed chase starts in NH, ends in Massachusetts - 1
- Justices send drug case back to Rockingham County Superior Court - 0
- Backlash from former detective's early release increasing - 9
- East Kingston man sentenced to prison in sex assault case - 0
132-mph street racers blow by trooper in Nashua, one of two arrested; motorcyclist arrested on I-93 doing 107 mphREADER COMMENTS: 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Lost Massachusetts hikers found safe in NH - 0
- GOP criticizes Shaheen flip flop on gas tax - 5
- No one has a clear claim to NHMS supremacy - 0
- Sentence fragment: Coco's cuckoo release - 0
- Charles Arlinghaus: Does Concord have a big spending problem? - 1
- Ban fireworks? Get serious - 5
- Another View - Kevin Smith: Londonderry is showing how to make NH business-friendly - 0
- Philadelphia outlasts Revolution, weather in U.S. Open Cup - 0
- Rock Cats sweep Fishers in rain-makeup doubleheader - 0
Police say Manchester woman arrested for punching ex-boyfriend during custody exchange in Walmart parking lot
Bikers say under-30 generation isn't interested, and can't afford many of the top motorcycles
Praising freedom: While curtailing it
Ban fireworks? Get serious
GOP criticizes Shaheen over gas tax
- Total Votes: 917