Home » Sports » Baseball » Red Sox/MLB
Napoli homers, Lackey shuts out Tigers
Napoli smashed a full-count fastball from Justin Verlander over the fence in left-center field with out in the seventh for the lone run allowed by the Tigers ace in 23 innings this postseason. Game 4 in the best-of-7 series is Wednesday in Detroit.
Lackey (1-0) struck out eight and gave up four hits and walked none in a strong outing. The bullpen got the final seven outs, including four from Koji Uehara for the save.
Verlander (0-1) struck out 10 – setting a postseason record with six career games of 10 or more strikeouts – and allowed one run and four hits in eight innings. He also matched the postseason record of six consecutive strikeouts when he fanned the last three batters in the second inning and struck out the side in the third.
Detroit had runners on first and third in the eighth before Junichi Tazawa struck out Miguel Cabrera and Uehara entered and fanned Prince Fielder. Uehara allowed a lead single to Victor Martinez in the ninth before inducing Jhonny Peralta to bounce into a double play and striking out Alex Avila.
GAME NOTEBOOK: Detroit pitchers have fanned 43 batters, a record through three games of a Championship Series. … Napoli’s only previous homer against Verlander came on May 4, 2006 – in his first major-league at-bat as a member of the Los Angeles Angels. … The game was delayed for 17 minutes due to a power outage prior to the bottom of the second inning.
READER COMMENTS: 1
- George Will: Executive discretion to the extreme - 0
- Charles Arlinghaus: Being better than New Jersey isn't good enough - 1
- Kathy Sullivan: GOP outrage machine might have finally gone too far - 46
- Jonah Goldberg: Triumph of the vulgarians - 1
- Maureen Mann: Labeling genetically-modified foods would help New Hampshire consumers - 16
- David Harsanyi: Ninety-six percent of Americans are wrong about Congress - 3
- Patrick J. Buchanan: Will we go to war over Japanese islands? - 0
- Sean Kenneally: A once pure NH view is no more - 13
- Jonah Goldberg: Obamacare was sold on a few core lies - 8
READER COMMENTS: 1
- Hollis school officials call police on Santa Claus - 0
- Rusty water in Manchester caused by water main break in Bedford - 0
- Forecasters eye possible weekend ice storm - 0
- Abigail's mother issues plea for Christmas return - 1
- Fugitive caught hiding under bed in Jaffrey - 0
- Target says data security breach may affect 40 million cards - 0
- Nashua man held in home invasion - 0
- Fugitive of the week: James Porter - 0
- Quick thinking closes the door on Somersworth fire - 0
Snow could reschedule Super Bowl
1 dead following Route 101 crash in Milford
City man charged with endangering child