Top 2 in high school football power poll to meet Friday night
After the top three all won this past weekend, with No. 1 Concord topping No. 4 Pinkerton Academy of Derry in overtime, it's status quo for Nos. 1-8 in the Union Leader/WGIR/WMUR Power Poll of the state's top high school football teams.
Coming up this week: a match-up of the top two teams, with Bedford visiting Concord at Memorial Field Friday night.
The only changes in the poll are at the bottom of the top 10, where Trinity of Manchester (5-1) moved up a spot to No. 9 after its 21-13 victory over Souhegan of Amherst and Portsmouth (also 5-1) claimed No. 10 after handling previously unbeaten St. Thomas Aquinas of Dover, 49-28, while previously No. 9 Spaulding of Rochester lost to No. 5 Bishop Guertin of Nashua, 38-26.
Concord, Bedford and Nashua South retain the top three spots, all with 5-0 records.
Pinkerton (3-2) retained the No. 4 ranking, with one point more than Bishop Guertin (4-1), which faces South this weekend.
Plymouth (6-0), Exeter (4-2) and Keene (4-2) all retained their ranks, Nos. 6-8, respectively.
UNION LEADER/WGIR/WMUR FOOTBALL POWER POLL
Oct. 14, 2013
The top 10 high school football teams in New Hampshire, as voted by the staffs of the New Hampshire Union Leader, WGIR AM and FM, and WMUR-TV after Week 6 of the 2013 NHIAA season, with first-place votes/points in parentheses:
1. Concord, 6-0 (6/60)
2. Bedford, 6-0 (54)
3. Nashua South, 6-0 (48)
4. Pinkerton, 4-2 (39)
5. Bishop Guertin, 5-1 (38)
6. Plymouth, 6-0 (26)
7. Exeter, 4-2 (25)
8. Keene, 4-2 (20)
9. Trinity, 5-1 (14)
10. Portsmouth, 5-1 (6)
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Pat Buchanan: China has begun prowling Asia like a hungry tiger - 3
- Thomas Sowell: Victimhood and race - 4
- Fred Hiatt: While Obama talked, Assad killed - 4
- Ramesh Ponnuru: Why the latest corporate tax cut plan won't work - 1
- Aidan Connell: Manchester Central educated this Hooksett student very well - 13
- Deroy Murdock; Fracking is 'greener' than environmentalists want to admit - 9
- Margaret Carlson: Is Obamacare challenging enough yet for President Obama? - 4
- George Will: Scott Walker, action figure governor - 1
- Charles Krauthammer: An outbreak of lawlessness - 1
READER COMMENTS: 7
- UPDATE: Portsmouth woman, 60, identified after her body is found in creek - 1
- N.Y. man charged with reckless conduct after accidental shooting in Nashua - 1
- Cases against Keene 'Robin Hooders' dismissed by judge - 7
- Task force arrests man in Nottingham for Candia burglary - 1
- Police: Salem man used car keys to stab officer in hand - 1
- Manchester muffler shop burglarized - 0
- Boy, 12, struck in Newton remains hospitalized - 0
- State revenue under projections for November - 1
- Armed man arrested after Manchester convenience store robbery - 0
John DiStaso's Granite Status: Bob Smith ready to hire campaign manager for his 2014 US Senate run
Push to block casino in NH ramping up
- Which of the following prospective candidates do you think the Red Sox should hire to replace Bobby Valentine as the team's manager?
- Sandy Alomar Jr.
- Brad Ausmus
- John Farrell
- DeMarlo Hale
- Torey Lovullo
- Dave Martinez
- Tony Pena
- Ryne Sandberg
- Joe Torre
- Jason Varitek
- Total Votes: 1840