Home » Sports » Baseball » Red Sox/MLB
For starters, Sox held almost hitless by Sanchez, Tigers
On Saturday night, Detroit starter Anibal Sanchez, one of the prospects the Sox gave away in that deal, set the stage for a near no-hitter.
Sanchez struck out 12, walked six and didn't allow a hit to a Boston batter in the first six innings as the Tigers beat the Red Sox, 1-0, in the first game of the American League Championship Series.
Jhonny Peralta's RBI single in the top of the sixth scored Miguel Cabrera with the only run the Tigers could muster off Jon Lester, who went 6-1/3, striking out four and walking one. Game 2 is tonight at 8 p.m. at Fenway Park.
Daniel Nava's one-out single in the ninth off Joaquin Benoit was the only hit the Red Sox could manage.
Sanchez was masterful through the first five innings, but finally tired in the sixth as he hit the 100-pitch mark. After walking the bases loaded, he ended the threat by striking out Stephen Drew to end the inning.
Detroit relievers Al Alburquerque, Jose Veras, Drew Smyly took care of the seventh and eighth innings.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Patriots Notebook: Pats looking for quicker start against Miami - 0
- Chargers edge Manning, Broncos, 27-20 - 0
- Bears sink Cowboys in frigid battle - 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Patriots Notebook: Another battle looms for Gronk - 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Patriots Notebook: Incredible win tempered by loss of Gronkowski - 2
- Patriots stun Cleveland in another wild comeback - 1
- Dave D'Onofrio's Patriots Notebook: Pats need to avoid the drama - 0
- Brady to suspicious Texan: Pats 'just played better' - 1
- Dave D'Onofrio's Patriots Notebook: Not half bad - 0
- Propane truck overturns on Bow side street - 0
- NH makes tort reform group's 'Judicial Hellholes' list - 4
- Manchester's O'Neill, Lebanon's Morrill form UNH's 'Granite Wall' - 0
- UPDATE: Stretch of I-293 South, North lanes reopen after propane tanker crashes - 1
- $13m contract recommended for next phase of Nashua parkway - 0
- Couple charged in connection with Exeter burglaries - 0
- Proposed article sets rules for use of temporary signs - 0
- Newsreel: State unemployment stable; Gates Foundation CEO named; generic Viagra out soon - 0
- Leclerc takes second place in men's hockey - 0