Home » Sports » Baseball » Red Sox/MLB
For starters, Sox held almost hitless by Sanchez, Tigers
On Saturday night, Detroit starter Anibal Sanchez, one of the prospects the Sox gave away in that deal, set the stage for a near no-hitter.
Sanchez struck out 12, walked six and didn't allow a hit to a Boston batter in the first six innings as the Tigers beat the Red Sox, 1-0, in the first game of the American League Championship Series.
Jhonny Peralta's RBI single in the top of the sixth scored Miguel Cabrera with the only run the Tigers could muster off Jon Lester, who went 6-1/3, striking out four and walking one. Game 2 is tonight at 8 p.m. at Fenway Park.
Daniel Nava's one-out single in the ninth off Joaquin Benoit was the only hit the Red Sox could manage.
Sanchez was masterful through the first five innings, but finally tired in the sixth as he hit the 100-pitch mark. After walking the bases loaded, he ended the threat by striking out Stephen Drew to end the inning.
Detroit relievers Al Alburquerque, Jose Veras, Drew Smyly took care of the seventh and eighth innings.
READER COMMENTS: 1
- Carol's Obamacare: What Shea-Porter supported - 38
- A chief walks: No charges in New London - 4
- Where is Benghazi? Kuster's refusal to stand - 42
- UNH's logo: Hip ... for now - 3
- Bird blenders: 'Green energy' sacrifice - 9
- Joseph W. McQuaid: Prizes & playoffs: Well done, UNH - 2
- Where’s Waldo? Just ask the NSA - 13
- Joseph W. McQuaid: Keeping public in the dark isn't helping find Abigail - 26
- The Peace Light: A Christmas reminder for all - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Teen injured in pedestrian/car collision in Hudson - 0
- Manchester police recover shell casings in gunfire incident on Taylor Street - 1
- NHIAA Boys' Basketball Preview: Top dogs still have lots of bite - 1
- Allen Lessels' UNH Notebook: Wildcats have come a long way - 0
- Another weekend, another three games for Monarchs - 0
- Another View -- Mark S. MacKenzie: Raising minimum wage would lift NH families out of poverty - 3
- Pray for safety: The state did not provide it - 2
- Students add their special touch to Christmas - 0
- Chargers edge Manning, Broncos, 27-20 - 0
Hooksett man arrested on assault charges
Driver was trying to kill himself
NH reps eyeing budget deal
Budget gets House OK, heads to Senate
Decision to tap F&G habitat fund explained