Home » News » Public Safety
Two hiking fatalities in NH, both victims in their 60s
State Fish and Game officials said a hiker who had been making a descent alone on the Ammonoosuc Trail in Crawford's Purchase collapsed and died around 9:30 p.m. Saturday.
The victim, identified as Dr. Robert Fernandez, 69, of Kennebunkport, Maine., died on the trail, Sgt. Mark Ober said. Efforts to revive Fernandez were unsuccessful.
Hikers from Alaska and Michigan had noticed that Fernandez had been hiking alone and appeared to be tired, so they made the trip down the trail with him. Fernandez collapsed about a half mile from the parking lot.
One of the hikers, Trent Sanders of Fairbanks, Alaska, performed CPR while his companion, Ryan Johnson of Holland, Mich., ran for help. Efforts by EMS crews to revive Fernandez were unsuccessful.
Earlier Saturday, a Massachusetts man died while hiking in Hart's Location. The hiker has been identified as James Byrne from South Dennis, Mass.
Bartlett rescue workers, members of the U.S. Forest Service and volunteers carried Byrne back to the trailhead after CPR was unsuccessful.
The hiker was with friends and family when he was fatally stricken.
READER COMMENTS: 1
- Three-alarm fire levels Loudon garage - 0
- Man, 41, dies when car hits pole in front of Nashua Library - 0
- Windsor man seriously injured in Bennington crash with logging truck - 0
- Hollis teen mourned after fatal crash on turnpike - 1
- AG reports progress in search for Hernandez; defends not releasing sensitive information - 1
- Chief to Chef: Charlestown veteran chief leaving for food venture - 0
- Fire Marshal's Office didn't condemn school's historic stage - 0
- Driver killed in head-on collision in Columbia - 0
- Hollis teen dies in crash on turnpike ramp - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Champagne dream leads to job applicant’s arrest - 1
- Wanted Vermont man evading capture allegedly tried to run over officer - 0
- Man, 41, dies after his car hits utility pole by Nashua library - 0
- AG: Failed suicide attempt led to expectant couple's deaths - 5
- Glitches tied to Medicaid rollout now resolved, officials say - 0
- Rockingham County Attorney files lawsuit to access office, but doors remain locked - 0
- Former Ambassador Bolton criticizes Kuster's 'lack of knowledge' on Libya - 3
- Man wanted in Vermont arrested after high-speed chase in Rochester - 1
- John DiStaso's Granite Status: Top NH political pros to head new Boston office of nationally-known consulting firm - 0
'From Bimah to Broadway' in Queen City
John DiStaso's Granite Status: Top NH political pros to head new Boston office of nationally-known consulting firm
Where is Benghazi? Kuster's refusal to stand
Shea-Porter: GOP ad about ACA in NH is false
- Would you support spending local tax dollars to buy your police department a $250K armored vehicle?
- Total Votes: 1072