Gillis, Greenleaf win NHIAA golf championships
Gillis, who earned the Richard D. McDonough trophy for his efforts, finished with a two-day total of 143, one-under par and two strokes better than runner-up Matt Paradis of Central. Gillis' eagles came on a pair of Canterbury Woods par-5s, the second and tenth holes.
And whereas the Division I Championship came down to two golfers, it was just one who left the field behind in Division II.
At Beaver Meadow Golf Club in Concord, Windham High School senior Connor Greenleaf turned what had been a three-shot lead following Thursday's team round into an eight-shot victory by closing with a scorching, 3-under-par 69 to finish with a 2-under 142.
At Ridgewood Country Club in Moultonborough, Jake Vaiknoras of Pelham was a model of consistency in claiming the Division III Individual Championship.
Trailing leader Josh Lacasse of Bow by one stroke after a first-round 71, Vaiknoras simply did it again, his second straight 1-under-par round to finish at 2-under 142 for the tournament. Lacasse shot a 75 to finish second at 145.
Derryfield, which had handily won the Division IV Team Championship on Thursday, had the top three finishers in the Individual Championship as well.
Roger Larrivee shot 74 on Saturday to finish with a 151 overall and overtake Derryfield teammate Bennett Doherty, who shot 78 Saturday and 153 for the two-day event. Behind them by just a stroke was another Cougar, Patrick McGinley, at 154.
READER COMMENTS: 7
- UPDATE: Portsmouth woman, 60, identified after her body is found in creek - 1
- N.Y. man charged with reckless conduct after accidental shooting in Nashua - 1
- Cases against Keene 'Robin Hooders' dismissed by judge - 7
- Task force arrests man in Nottingham for Candia burglary - 1
- Police: Salem man used car keys to stab officer in hand - 1
- Manchester muffler shop burglarized - 0
- Boy, 12, struck in Newton remains hospitalized - 0
- State revenue under projections for November - 1
- Armed man arrested after Manchester convenience store robbery - 0
UPDATE: Could be 'months' before deciding on charges in crash involving Dover city councilor
John DiStaso's Granite Status: Bob Smith ready to hire campaign manager for his 2014 US Senate run
Push to block casino in NH ramping up