Home » Sports » Baseball » Red Sox/MLB
NLCS: Cardinals edge Dodgers in 13-inning opener
After almost five hours of action, Beltran lined a single to right off Dodgers closer Kenley Jansen to score Daniel Descalso and end the taut contest in the bottom of the fourth extra inning.
The right fielder, who has made a habit of rising to the occasion in the postseason, also drove in the Cardinals' first two runs in the third inning and kept the Dodgers from taking the lead in the 10th by throwing a runner out at the plate.
"Today was a good game," Beltran said in an interview after his winning hit. "That's what it's all about. We didn't want to lose, they didn't want to lose."
The Cardinals used seven pitchers in the game, with Lance Lynn earning the win. Los Angeles, which squandered several scoring opportunities in the late innings, used six.
Game Two is in St Louis on Saturday afternoon with rookie Michael Wacha scheduled to start for the Cardinals against 2011 Cy Young winner Clayton Kershaw for the Dodgers.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Vin Sylvia: Hot stove plus hockey equals cool doubleheader - 0
- John Habib's City Sports: Much-loved Lemire was dedicated to city's kids - 0
- John Habib's City Sports: High school hoops preseason jamboree finally a reality - 0
- John Habib's City Sports: Monarchs' Morris salutes fans - 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Patriots Notebook: Stunning ending authored by Brady. - 1
- John Habib's City Sports: A couple of Pioneers are on the move - 0
- John Habib's City Sports: Memorial principal explains football time changes - 0
- John Habib's City Sports: Joe Sullivan stories recall a great storyteller - 1
- John Habib's City Sports: City champ eyes state title - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Dartmouth skaters dealt another close loss - 0
- Gaming authority offers regulatory structure - 0
- Portsmouth man gets prison for sex assault of disabled woman - 0
- Wolfeboro nursing home evacuated after minor chemical spill - 0
- Dover woman admits to bank robberies in two states - 0
- Motorists injured in two car collision on Route 9, Spofford - 0
- Arrest made in attempted robbery of Littleton gas station - 0
- Ex-Littleton man sentenced to prison for DWI crash - 0
- Greenfield planners seek input on Heritage District plan proposal - 0
Symphony NH plans pair of holiday events
There are no little jobs in the armed forces
Driver was trying to kill himself
NH reps eyeing budget deal
Decision to tap F&G habitat fund explained
Big tipper stops for lunch
Keene to appeal Robin Hood rulings