Feds' stated reason for closing WMNF campgrounds irks operator
But when they put up notices saying they were closed due to "health and safety" concerns, that was the final blow.
Tower, president of Pro Sport Inc., estimates he'll lose $50,000 from the early shutdown of the 21 campgrounds and one recreation area he operates in the White Mountain National Forest under contract with the federal government. He's also spending an additional $13,000 in payroll to keep his employees on this past week.
"I'm trying to be civil, but it's not easy when you see that."
"The campgrounds have never been quieter and safer. We've taken really rowdy campgrounds and made them safe for families to come, knowing they're going to be safe and they're going to be quiet."
Instead, his staff has been turning away angry campers from all the areas since last Wednesday. Friday night, he said, "two group of cars came in. They were at the gate and they were mad as hell they couldn't come in."
Tower said local WMNF federal employees are also upset about what's going on.
Go to newhampshire.com for holiday weekend event and foliage information. Just click the outdoors tab at the top of the site.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Early summer rental benefit as winter takes its toll - 0
- Susan Dromey's Down to Earth: The winter of our fashion faux pas - 0
- Deb Baker's The Mindful Reader: 'The Half Brother': complex, thoughtful - 0
- Forest Journal: Winners & losers: Keeping score of wildlife in winter - 0
- Dick Pinney's Guidelines: Ice fishing great under right conditions - 0
- Stacey Cole's Nature Talks: Thrush sighting brings rush of excitement - 0
- Win tickets to see Pat Benetar and Neil Giraldo - 0
- Win tickets to see Black Label Society - 0
- Last Week's Rare Bird Alert - 0
Harrigan closes up camp
Win tickets to see Black Label Society
Judge: State wrong to round blood-alcohol level; license of teen charged with hitting women restored
Donna Powers: NH needs casinos
Anthem breach will haunt NH 'forever'