Feds' stated reason for closing WMNF campgrounds irks operator
But when they put up notices saying they were closed due to "health and safety" concerns, that was the final blow.
Tower, president of Pro Sport Inc., estimates he'll lose $50,000 from the early shutdown of the 21 campgrounds and one recreation area he operates in the White Mountain National Forest under contract with the federal government. He's also spending an additional $13,000 in payroll to keep his employees on this past week.
"I'm trying to be civil, but it's not easy when you see that."
"The campgrounds have never been quieter and safer. We've taken really rowdy campgrounds and made them safe for families to come, knowing they're going to be safe and they're going to be quiet."
Instead, his staff has been turning away angry campers from all the areas since last Wednesday. Friday night, he said, "two group of cars came in. They were at the gate and they were mad as hell they couldn't come in."
Tower said local WMNF federal employees are also upset about what's going on.
Go to newhampshire.com for holiday weekend event and foliage information. Just click the outdoors tab at the top of the site.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Report: NH plant species at risk - 0
- The sweetest of weekends in NH - 0
- He's come a long way from a harsh Georgia upbringing - 0
- Thanks to members' seed money, CSA farms ready for a new season - 0
- Jack Savage: Thinking and waiting for the sap run - 0
- Stacey Cole's Nature Talks: Trees and people share remarkable resemblance - 0
- Last week's Rare Bird Alert - 0
- Romney, Fallon betting stakes: Ice cream at 'The Bubble' - 0
- Black Label Society goes 'UnBlackened' at the Casino Ballroom - 0
Guide Lines: Options for open-water fishing
Report: NH plant species at risk
The sweetest of weekends in NH
City 'losing ground' to poverty
Cruz: I can rally the right
Conference courts young conservatives