Home » News » Politics » Primary Plus
Feds' stated reason for closing WMNF campgrounds irks operator
But when they put up notices saying they were closed due to "health and safety" concerns, that was the final blow.
Tower, president of Pro Sport Inc., estimates he'll lose $50,000 from the early shutdown of the 21 campgrounds and one recreation area he operates in the White Mountain National Forest under contract with the federal government. He's also spending an additional $13,000 in payroll to keep his employees on this past week.
"I'm trying to be civil, but it's not easy when you see that."
"The campgrounds have never been quieter and safer. We've taken really rowdy campgrounds and made them safe for families to come, knowing they're going to be safe and they're going to be quiet."
Instead, his staff has been turning away angry campers from all the areas since last Wednesday. Friday night, he said, "two group of cars came in. They were at the gate and they were mad as hell they couldn't come in."
Tower said local WMNF federal employees are also upset about what's going on.
Go to newhampshire.com for holiday weekend event and foliage information. Just click the outdoors tab at the top of the site.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Children invited to attend Woodland Storybook Walk in Wilton - 0
- Last week's Rare Bird Alert - 0
- Stacey Cole's Nature Talks: Owls are a treat for the ears but very rarely for the eyes - 0
- Tune In To AMC TV This Sunday, October 26 To Watch SLASH On 'Talking Dead' - 0
- Major Gift from Volunteer Steward Aids Great Bay Reserve Boardwalk - 0
- Learn About Salmon Life Cycle at 'Salmon Sunday' - November 9, 2014 - 0
- Brian Setzer donates Gretsch Guitar to Smithsonian - 0
- Roomful of Blues to perform in Salisbury - 0
- Outstanding Volunteers of 2014 Selected for 2014 Spirit of NH Awards - 0
Last week's Rare Bird Alert
Fall hikers throughout NH put on notice
Win tickets to see the Amazing Nano Brothers
A good first impression
Thieves target cars in Hollis neighborhood