Saturday Six Pack: Al Felgar, CEO of Frisbie Memorial Hospital
1. You have disputed the claim that Obamacare will keep prices down by increasing competition. Why don't you believe that? It's called the "Affordable Care Act," after all.
Only one insurance company's plans are offered. There is no price competition-more companies in the insurance exchange would help. And, providers were not given the opportunity to compete on price. Anthem excluded 10 hospitals and their doctor networks without ever discussing their interest in participating or pricing.
2. What do you see as the largest driver of health care costs, and how well does the Affordable Care Act address that problem?
Demand for medical services by the public. US "costs" are high in part because Americans want lots of medical care (MRI's, CT's, Hip replacement, etc). The ACA will not impact that very much.
3. If not Obamacare, how would you change health insurance system to increase access to care and lower costs?
New Hampshire needs to change laws on underwriting to encourage more insurance companies. Fifteen years ago we had many more insurance companies. More insurance companies would mean they would have to compete to sell their products to employers. In order to compete, they would need to lower the premiums.
4. Would you prefer to see the state expand Medicaid eligibility or try for an alternative, and why?
Expanding Medicaid is a two-edged sword: it would help Frisbie (less bad debt), but expanding Medicaid will obligate N.H. state government to future financial obligations.
Where will this money come from? More taxes?
5. Are you optimistic or pessimistic about the future if Obamacare is not changed?
Pessimistic. Ten hospitals and their doctors networks are excluded from the program. Access will be greatly restricted.
6. Most people hear "Frisbie" and think of the flying disc. Can the hospital cash checks written to Frisbee Memorial Hospital, and to your knowledge have you ever admitted a child with a serious Frisbee injury?
Appreciate your sense of humor. I will ask a few ER docs regarding the injury question.
READER COMMENTS: 3
- Another View -- Cass Sunstein: A salute to the graceful silence of George W. Bush - 7
- David Harsanyi : Run, Liz, run! - 16
- Another View -- Bill O'Brien: Ask your state rep. to vote for transparency in the House - 43
- Another View -- Harold Meyerson: The right underestimates Elizabeth Warren's appeal - 39
- Jonah Goldberg: There was a time when we stood up to threats against free speech - 2
- Why I voted against the 'CRomnibus' spending bill - 20
- Another View -- Devon Chaffee: Why interrogators believe America should never torture - 2
- David Harsanyi: GOP establishment, stop whining - 0
- John Stossel: Individual giving beats government giving - 4
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Two Manchester women arrested in separate shoplifting incidents in Hooksett - 1
- Maine police search car belonging to husband of Londonderry shooting victim - 0
- Man arrested after chase, threatening to shoot police in Bow - 0
- Good Samaritan pins Manchester purse snatcher - 0
- Homeless man who saved woman from river: 'I don't consider myself a hero' - 9
- High School Basketball: Rivalries renewed in QCIBT - 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Patriots Notebook: Will they get everything on their list? - 0
- Tuohy brothers add new restaurant in familiar spot - 0
- New Horizons volunteers deliver groceries and good cheer, making Christmas special - 0
Londonderry schools placed on lockdown after soldier's unplanned visit to high school causes alarm
Police say woman tried to steal 15 iPads