Home » Sports » Basketball » Celtics/NBA
Celts land in Manchester on Saturday
But the Red Sox game isn’t stopping Granite State fans from flocking to Verizon Wireless Arena in Manchester to watch the rebuilding Boston Celtics play a pre-season game.
Celtics fans will be watching a team that was dismantled during the off-season in hopes of building a new era.
The Celtics still have All-Star point guard Rajon Rondo, who is inactive. Rondo is still recovering from knee surgery. Jared Sullinger, Avery Bradley, Jordan Crawford, Courtney Lee and Jeff Green are the other veterans back from last year’s team.
Coach Doc Rivers departed for the Los Angeles Clippers and Boston was compensated with an unprotected 2015 first-round pick.
The Celtics, who face the Philadelphia 76ers in Delaware tonight, are 0-2 in the pre-season.
On Monday in Boston, the Celtics lost 97-89 to the Toronto Raptors. On Wednesday at the Dunkin’ Donuts Center in Providence, R.I., the Celtics erased a 23-point second-half deficit and took a 102-101 lead on a lay-up from undrafted rookie free agent Phil Pressey with 22 seconds left. Pressey led the Celtics with 13 points. The Knicks pulled out the win when Tim Hardaway Jr. sank a jumper with eight seconds left for the 103-102 win.
He and Bradley each scored 12 points and were instrumental during Boston’s 20-2 fourth-period run leading up to Pressey’s lay-up. Center Vitor Faverani also contributed 11 points. Faverani, from Brazil, who signed with Boston in July, hit a three-point shot and dunked twice, including a one-hander over Josh Powell of New York in the first half.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Definitely broken: City's winter parking ban - 2
- What Congress? Obama's 'easy way out' - 25
- Closing classrooms: Relief for Webster, Beech Street schools in Manchester.? - 2
- Unwanted professors: How does one get fired at UNH? - 15
- Bumped for Benghazi: A reporter is held accountable - 2
- Dangerous Iran deal: Weakening sanctions is senseless - 2
- Freedom? Thanks for nothing, Obama - 82
- Christmas spirit: For whom do you shop? - 5
- American blessing: The Pilgrims and self-reliance - 20
READER COMMENTS: 7
- UPDATE: Portsmouth woman, 60, identified after her body is found in creek - 1
- N.Y. man charged with reckless conduct after accidental shooting in Nashua - 1
- Cases against Keene 'Robin Hooders' dismissed by judge - 7
- Task force arrests man in Nottingham for Candia burglary - 1
- Police: Salem man used car keys to stab officer in hand - 1
- Manchester muffler shop burglarized - 0
- Boy, 12, struck in Newton remains hospitalized - 0
- State revenue under projections for November - 1
- Armed man arrested after Manchester convenience store robbery - 0
John DiStaso's Granite Status: Bob Smith ready to hire campaign manager for his 2014 US Senate run
Push to block casino in NH ramping up