Home » Sports » Basketball » Celtics/NBA
Celts land in Manchester on Saturday
But the Red Sox game isn’t stopping Granite State fans from flocking to Verizon Wireless Arena in Manchester to watch the rebuilding Boston Celtics play a pre-season game.
Celtics fans will be watching a team that was dismantled during the off-season in hopes of building a new era.
The Celtics still have All-Star point guard Rajon Rondo, who is inactive. Rondo is still recovering from knee surgery. Jared Sullinger, Avery Bradley, Jordan Crawford, Courtney Lee and Jeff Green are the other veterans back from last year’s team.
Coach Doc Rivers departed for the Los Angeles Clippers and Boston was compensated with an unprotected 2015 first-round pick.
The Celtics, who face the Philadelphia 76ers in Delaware tonight, are 0-2 in the pre-season.
On Monday in Boston, the Celtics lost 97-89 to the Toronto Raptors. On Wednesday at the Dunkin’ Donuts Center in Providence, R.I., the Celtics erased a 23-point second-half deficit and took a 102-101 lead on a lay-up from undrafted rookie free agent Phil Pressey with 22 seconds left. Pressey led the Celtics with 13 points. The Knicks pulled out the win when Tim Hardaway Jr. sank a jumper with eight seconds left for the 103-102 win.
He and Bradley each scored 12 points and were instrumental during Boston’s 20-2 fourth-period run leading up to Pressey’s lay-up. Center Vitor Faverani also contributed 11 points. Faverani, from Brazil, who signed with Boston in July, hit a three-point shot and dunked twice, including a one-hander over Josh Powell of New York in the first half.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Bedford wrestlers top Goffstown - 0
- Central builds early lead, beats Pinkerton - 0
- Pinkerton, Memorial deadlock - 0
- Concord's Law is Athlete of the Month - 0
- Indoor track results - 0
- Central-Trinity: It's time - 2
- Trinity, BG skaters open with victories - 0
- Central vs. Trinity: 'competition, not warfare' - 5
- NHIAA preview: Boys' ice hockey races appear to be wide open - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Red Sox deal Morales for backup infielder - 0
- It's a season of switching teams for NASCAR drivers - 0
- Central girls down Trinity in OT - 0
- Pistons edge Celtics - 0
- Business is good for football elite - 0
- Negotiator: Israeli-Palestinian talks might take year to complete - 0
- Harvard student charged in bomb hoax released on bail - 0
- Jackknifed propane tanker closes I-293 to traffic for hours in aftermath - 0
- AG eyes whether credibility issue may undermine some Rockingham County convictions - 0
Police say man attacked woman with sword
The Music Hall presents 'Messiah Sing'