Home » News » Public Safety
Overdue Pittsburg bird hunter returns home safely
Leonard Schrock, 63, of Pittsburg left a note for his wife Gail on Thursday afternoon saying he had gone hunting in the Hall Stream area. An avid outdoors man, he usually returns home about 6:30 p.m., which prompted his wife to contact authorities for help.
Schrock's 1993 Ford Bronco had broken down in the upper reaches of Hall Stream, he later told conservation officers, and he walked for more than four hours along logging roads to get home.
The only vehicles he saw during his dark walk were a border patrol agent and a conservation officer heading onto Moose Pond Road to look for him. That was in the initial stages of the search of logging roads, and about the same time Schrock arrived safely home at 10:10 p.m.
Schrock had taken a small trail behind his property as a final shortcut home, when he saw the headlights and heard the vehicles through the trees.
"Mr. Schrock is in great physical shape, and is an avid outdoors man. These attributes certainly helped him through the situation he was facing," said conservation officer Chris Egan.
Fish and Game officials remind hunters, fishermen, hikers and other outdoor enthusiasts to wear appropriate clothing, carry at least a source of light and fire, and most importantly, to tell someone where you plan to go and when you plan to return.
"Leaving the note gave us a place to begin looking. Without such a valuable hint, it would have been more like looking for a needle in a haystack," Egan said.
READER COMMENTS: 1
- Manchester police to hold ‘Coffee with a Cop’ event - 0
- Keene ordinance against synthetic drugs seems to be working - 0
- Plea deal for woman who allegedly supplied drug hours before Hampton double fatal - 0
- Merrimack rollover sends Mass. driver to hospital - 0
- Suit claims Hudson violates rights of panhandlers - 1
- Driver hits Rochester monument, rolls car and is trapped - 0
- Nashua firefighters put out two fires; 14 people forced out in Palm Street blaze - 0
- Two injured in late night car crash in Londonderry - 0
- Hampton Falls woman charged with striking Rye police officer with her car - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Concord man charged in downtown stabbing - 0
- GPS device locates stolen truck in Merrimack - 0
- Traffic signal stop leads to drug arrest in Merrimack - 0
- NH Fisher Cats slam way to win over Trenton - 0
- Officials hire principal for Golden Brook school - 0
- Seniors help students start year on the right foot, with the write stuff - 0
- Derry councilors select semi-finalists for town admin job - 0
- Plaistow begins search for new police chief - 0
- Without an exemption, Goffstown resident must pay high taxes on solar energy panels - 1
Derry to NH: Take Exit 4A
Editorial: Garcia gains Lambert lies
Hassan, Havenstein both raise nearly $2m