Jun 26, 2014
Jun 20, 2014
Jun 11, 2014
May 29, 2014
Former Londonderry church nursery school director indicted for theft
Lisa Wallace, 42, of Wakefield, Mass., was indicted on a single count of theft by unauthorized taking for pilfering the money between Sept. 4, 2008, and June 9, 2012, according to prosecutors.
The Diocese of Manchester contacted Londonderry police in April when an internal audit showed that money had been missing from St. Mark Evangelist Church, according to police.
The thefts began soon after she was hired as the director of The Evangelist Nursery School in September 2008 and continued after her departure last June, according to court records and police.
A grand jury returned the felony indictment against her earlier this month in Rockingham County Superior Court. The indictment became public this week.
Wallace is facing up to 3 1/2 to 7 years in state prison and a $4,000 fine if she is convicted by a jury, according to the indictment.
Wallace had resigned from her job sometime last June. Londonderry police arrested her roughly a year later after a two-month investigation.
She has remained free on $5,000 cash bail since her arrest.
Police said that Wallace had access to the church's bank accounts while working as the nursery director, and allegedly used an ATM card to withdraw money for her own personal use instead of supplies for the nursery school.
Investigators first estimated the alleged embezzlement to total about $16,000 during Wallace's four years at the school, but another $2,400 was withdrawn from the bank account after Wallace left her job, according to police.
Wallace was employed at the nursery school from September 2008 until June 2012, and had sole control over the school's finances, according to the Diocese of Manchester.
Some of the purchases that Wallace made included $1,500 at a Londonderry nail salon, a clothing store and Dunkin' Donuts, according to investigators.
She will be arraigned on the theft charge Oct. 24 in Rockingham County Superior Court if she chooses not to waive the hearing in advance.
- Mazzaglia to be sentenced Aug. 14 for murder of UNH student - 0
- Man arrested in two Portsmouth robberies - 0
- Manchester man arrested for attempted robbery in Laconia - 0
- Dover man among two sought in connection with Maine murder - 0
- High-speed chase starts in NH, ends in Massachusetts - 1
- Justices send drug case back to Rockingham County Superior Court - 0
- Backlash from former detective's early release increasing - 10
- East Kingston man sentenced to prison in sex assault case - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Lost Massachusetts hikers found safe in NH - 0
- GOP criticizes Shaheen flip flop on gas tax - 6
- No one has a clear claim to NHMS supremacy - 0
- Sentence fragment: Coco's cuckoo release - 0
- Charles Arlinghaus: Does Concord have a big spending problem? - 1
- Ban fireworks? Get serious - 5
- Another View - Kevin Smith: Londonderry is showing how to make NH business-friendly - 0
- Philadelphia outlasts Revolution, weather in U.S. Open Cup - 0
- Rock Cats sweep Fishers in rain-makeup doubleheader - 0
Police say Manchester woman arrested for punching ex-boyfriend during custody exchange in Walmart parking lot
Bikers say under-30 generation isn't interested, and can't afford many of the top motorcycles
Ban fireworks? Get serious
GOP criticizes Shaheen over gas tax
- Total Votes: 917