Heroes to be honored in Plaistow
People will plant up to 6,800 flags, representing the lives of every serviceman and woman who have died since the war on terror began.
The planting will take place at church, 90 Newton Road, at 10 a.m.
The Patriot Guard will be there as well as Major Gen. Bill Reddel, adjutant general, New Hampshire National Guard, as the guest speaker.
KINGSTON — The Kingston Veterans Club will be hosting its annual Oktoberfest on Oct. 12.
Join the veterans for authentic German food such as bratwurst, sauerkraut, spaetzle, schnitzel and more.
Post 27 events
LONDONDERRY — American Legion Post 27, 6 Sargent Road, is holding several events in October.
Oct. 14, general meeting at 7:30 p.m.
Oct. 19, comedy night and dinner at 7 p.m. There will also be raffles, a 50/50 and a silent auction.
Oct. 26, cornhole tournament at 11 a.m. Two person teams at $10 per player. Raffles, 50/50 and silent auction.
Nominations are now being accepted for the 2013 Maurice McQuillen Service to Fellow New Hampshire Veterans Award.
The deadline for submissions is Oct. 31.
Sweeney Post events
Cover charge is $5.
On Sunday, the monthly breakfast is sponsored by the Ladies Auxiliary.
A Big Band Bash Tuesday with the Freese Brothers Swing Orchestra is from 7:30 to 9:30 p.m. Admission is free.
Call 623-9145 or go to www.sweeneypost.org.
MANCHESTER — Daniel K Poling Chapter 992 Vietnam Veterans of America is planning a visit Oct. 17 to the Currier Museum to view the Vietnam photo display.
Chapter members can meet for lunch at Subway, 881 Hanover St. (East Side Plaza), at 11:30 a.m.
Benefit set for Portsmouth VFW post
PORTSMOUTH — The Nam Knights Motorcycle Club will hold a fall gathering benefit from 6 to 10 p.m. on Saturday at the Emerson Hovey VFW Post 168, 238 Deer St.
There will be 60 and 70s music, food, snacks and raffles. The cost is $20, $30 per couple. RSVP 508-889-3192..
READER COMMENTS: 6
- Proposed Common Core alternative will get public review tonight - 6
- New headmaster eager to take the reins at Pinkerton - 0
- SNHU, NH Institute of Art merger talk creates anxiety for some - 4
- UNH- Manchester looks to move into Pandora building - 2
- Wilton school project begins - 0
- Nashua explores taking over Brentwood School - 0
- Franklin Pierce lays off four full-time employees - 0
- New Highland-Goffe's Falls principal starts job today - 0
- Board to vote on new graphic design program - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Speeding stop leads to drug and alcohol charges in Hollis - 0
- Allen Lessels on Motor Sports: Youngsters eye NHMS - 0
- Mark Hayward's City Matters: Manchester's bike culture shifts into high gear - 0
- Ignoring Lyme: What are state, towns doing? - 1
- Dave D'Onofrio's Sox Beat: Red Sox makeover underway - 1
- Tom Herzig's Trackside: MacDonald has NHMS track experience - 0
- Drew Cline: Scott Brown plans to win over NH one handshake at a time - 7
- Anthony M. Kay - 0
- Walsh paces Sweeney Post past Laconia - 0
132-mph street racers blow by trooper in Nashua, one of two arrested; motorcyclist arrested on I-93 doing 107 mph
Police say Manchester woman arrested for punching ex-boyfriend during custody exchange in Walmart parking lot
Bikers say under-30 generation isn't interested, and can't afford many of the top motorcycles
Mount Washington College to close 2 campuses
Ban fireworks? Get serious
GOP criticizes Shaheen over gas tax
Sentence fragment: Coco's cuckoo release
Ayotte calls again for FCC reform