Heroes to be honored in Plaistow
People will plant up to 6,800 flags, representing the lives of every serviceman and woman who have died since the war on terror began.
The planting will take place at church, 90 Newton Road, at 10 a.m.
The Patriot Guard will be there as well as Major Gen. Bill Reddel, adjutant general, New Hampshire National Guard, as the guest speaker.
KINGSTON — The Kingston Veterans Club will be hosting its annual Oktoberfest on Oct. 12.
Join the veterans for authentic German food such as bratwurst, sauerkraut, spaetzle, schnitzel and more.
Post 27 events
LONDONDERRY — American Legion Post 27, 6 Sargent Road, is holding several events in October.
Oct. 14, general meeting at 7:30 p.m.
Oct. 19, comedy night and dinner at 7 p.m. There will also be raffles, a 50/50 and a silent auction.
Oct. 26, cornhole tournament at 11 a.m. Two person teams at $10 per player. Raffles, 50/50 and silent auction.
Nominations are now being accepted for the 2013 Maurice McQuillen Service to Fellow New Hampshire Veterans Award.
The deadline for submissions is Oct. 31.
Sweeney Post events
Cover charge is $5.
On Sunday, the monthly breakfast is sponsored by the Ladies Auxiliary.
A Big Band Bash Tuesday with the Freese Brothers Swing Orchestra is from 7:30 to 9:30 p.m. Admission is free.
Call 623-9145 or go to www.sweeneypost.org.
MANCHESTER — Daniel K Poling Chapter 992 Vietnam Veterans of America is planning a visit Oct. 17 to the Currier Museum to view the Vietnam photo display.
Chapter members can meet for lunch at Subway, 881 Hanover St. (East Side Plaza), at 11:30 a.m.
Benefit set for Portsmouth VFW post
PORTSMOUTH — The Nam Knights Motorcycle Club will hold a fall gathering benefit from 6 to 10 p.m. on Saturday at the Emerson Hovey VFW Post 168, 238 Deer St.
There will be 60 and 70s music, food, snacks and raffles. The cost is $20, $30 per couple. RSVP 508-889-3192..
READER COMMENTS: 3
- Drew Cline: Rand Paul's coalition vs. Ted Cruz's army - 5
- Another View -- Jeff Goley and Will Infantine: Time for an increase in weekly benefits for NH unemployed - 4
- George Will: Understanding our divisions - 0
- Jonah Goldberg: Attorney General Eric Holder's race card - 0
- Another View -- Bobby Jindal: NH should trust parents to choose schools - 14
- Charles Arlinghaus: A $400 million hole was just blown in the state budget - 5
- Thomas Sowell: Fraudulent stats behind 'equal pay' claims - 1
- Jonah Goldberg: The left's arrogant groupthink - 0
- Rep. Adam Schroadter: Penalties for marijuana use in NH should fit the crime - 10
READER COMMENTS: 0
- NH Legal Perspective -- Health care decision making: Pending legislation fills gap - 0
- GoShopNH offers workshop to NH artisans on selling their products online - 0
- Christopher Thompson's Closing the Deal: Be a student of your profession - 0
- NHIAA Boys' Lacrosse: Bedford proving Division I-worthy - 0
- NHIAA Baseball: Londonderry's Corey escapes seventh-inning jam in win - 0
- Pope presides at Vatican Mass leading Catholics into Easter - 0
- Top-ranked B's seek to tie up series - 0
- Bottoms up for Red Sox in win over Orioles - 0
- Struggling Fisher Cats defeated again - 0
Man electrocuted at Keene brush fire