Heroes to be honored in Plaistow
People will plant up to 6,800 flags, representing the lives of every serviceman and woman who have died since the war on terror began.
The planting will take place at church, 90 Newton Road, at 10 a.m.
The Patriot Guard will be there as well as Major Gen. Bill Reddel, adjutant general, New Hampshire National Guard, as the guest speaker.
KINGSTON — The Kingston Veterans Club will be hosting its annual Oktoberfest on Oct. 12.
Join the veterans for authentic German food such as bratwurst, sauerkraut, spaetzle, schnitzel and more.
Post 27 events
LONDONDERRY — American Legion Post 27, 6 Sargent Road, is holding several events in October.
Oct. 14, general meeting at 7:30 p.m.
Oct. 19, comedy night and dinner at 7 p.m. There will also be raffles, a 50/50 and a silent auction.
Oct. 26, cornhole tournament at 11 a.m. Two person teams at $10 per player. Raffles, 50/50 and silent auction.
Nominations are now being accepted for the 2013 Maurice McQuillen Service to Fellow New Hampshire Veterans Award.
The deadline for submissions is Oct. 31.
Sweeney Post events
Cover charge is $5.
On Sunday, the monthly breakfast is sponsored by the Ladies Auxiliary.
A Big Band Bash Tuesday with the Freese Brothers Swing Orchestra is from 7:30 to 9:30 p.m. Admission is free.
Call 623-9145 or go to www.sweeneypost.org.
MANCHESTER — Daniel K Poling Chapter 992 Vietnam Veterans of America is planning a visit Oct. 17 to the Currier Museum to view the Vietnam photo display.
Chapter members can meet for lunch at Subway, 881 Hanover St. (East Side Plaza), at 11:30 a.m.
Benefit set for Portsmouth VFW post
PORTSMOUTH — The Nam Knights Motorcycle Club will hold a fall gathering benefit from 6 to 10 p.m. on Saturday at the Emerson Hovey VFW Post 168, 238 Deer St.
There will be 60 and 70s music, food, snacks and raffles. The cost is $20, $30 per couple. RSVP 508-889-3192..
READER COMMENTS: 9
- Manchester school district makes bid to run Job Corps center - 2
- NEASC votes to reaccredit Central High - 1
- Londonderry school policy updates sought - 0
- New schedule feature will provide Nashua students with opportunities - 0
- Manchester forums will allow public to question principal finalists - 0
- Mount Washington College to close 2 campuses - 1
- Manchester education standards proposal derided at public hearing - 6
- Proposed Common Core alternative will get public review tonight - 6
- New headmaster eager to take the reins at Pinkerton - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Only a freshman, Kennedy excelled on the track - 0
- Looking Back With Aurore Eaton: The Manchester Opera House makes its stunning debut - 0
- Another View -- John Dumais: Mandatory GMO labeling is all cost, no benefit - 0
- What’s the rush? Executive Council follows Pelosi plan - 0
- On Baseball: Fisher Cats prove point - 0
- Evan Turner, Celtics see upside in new deal - 0
- Thunder take two from Fisher Cats - 0
- Ortiz, Drew (4 RBIs each) lead Red Sox hit parade against Blue Jays - 0
- Nashua settles suit over gas collection system - 0
Market Basket workers urged to 'shut it down'; deposed CEO urges fired workers be given jobs back
Shaheen's record: On insurance, it is dismal
Anti-SUV flop: Americans love utility
U.S. appeals courts issue conflicting rulings on Obamacare exchange subsidies such as NH's