Home » News » Public Safety
Nashua fatal fire was intentionally set
NASHUA -- The explosion and fire that killed a local resident on Carlisle Road this past summer was intentionally set, according to a fire investigator.
Eric Berube, an investigator with the New Hampshire State Fire Marshal's Office, has ruled that the July 10 blaze at 7 Carlisle Rd. was incendiary, meaning it was set intentionally.
However, Berube would not elaborate on whether the fire was arson, which he explained would differ slightly from an incendiary fire if a crime was involved.
The fire, which started in an upstairs bedroom, killed Alfred J. Demeusy, 65. The cause of Demeusy's death was smoke inhalation.
Berube refused to comment on how the fire was set, or whether an accelerant may have been used, although those questions have been determined, he said. It is too premature to release those details, according to Berube, who explained his agency is still working with the Nashua Police Department and the Nashua Fire Marshal to close the investigation.
“The three of us are cooperating with the investigation, which is ongoing,” said Berube.
The identity of the person responsible for setting the fire also was not released on Thursday.
There are various technical aspects to each fire investigation, according to Berube, who said it can take months to fully analyze evidence, statements and documents.
“Those are all part of every investigation, and sometimes it takes longer than others,” he said. “This is not unusual.”
Berube maintained that state fire officials will not remain quiet about the case, and will release more details when it is appropriate, possibly within a couple of weeks.
When city firefighters responded to the fire this past July, the house was fully involved upon arrival, which stalled an immediate search of the building, fire officials said earlier.
Following the fire, investigators described the blaze as unusual, saying the explosion caused a side wall of the house to fly off the structure while a garage door separated itself from the two-story structure.
Cynthia Bautista, the Nashua fire marshal, previously described the blaze as “pretty unique,” but declined to elaborate.
Although the burned home was completely destroyed, its charred remains were still standing after the fire. The building was shored up using numerous jacks to prevent the structure from collapsing, allowing investigators more time to collect evidence and determine what may have happened.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Rymes Oil employees pull Bradford man from flaming wreck, but driver succumbs to injuries - 0
- Keene man killed in work accident in Troy Monday - 0
- Teen driver dies after being pulled from icy waters in Londonderry - 8
- Trio escapes Claremont fire after smoke wakes resident - 0
- Man suffers life-threatening injuries in Little Cohas Brook crash - 0
- Tractor-trailer pulls down poles, wires, closing part of Route 28 in Epsom - 0
- Commission honors seven for contributions to state firefighter training - 0
- Lost hikers found safe in Gilsum - 1
- Woman thrown from horse, injured - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- PSNH says storm ranks as 4th largest for peak outage - 0
- Henniker police shoot suspect in truck heist - 0
- More than 200,000 New Hampshire customers without power - 1
- Thanksgiving travel a nightmare as storm dumps heavy, wet snow - 3
- Dave D'Onofrio's Patriots Notebook: Pats put selves in strong position - 0
- Manchester Turkey Bowl will go as scheduled - 0
- Red Sox think they got free agent signings right this time - 0
- Turkey Bowls: Passion always on the menu - 0
- Manchester Turkey Bowl: Crusaders aim to rewrite history - 0
Person found dead in Manchester alley
On being American: A point for reflection
Your Turn, NH -- Mike Moffett: Republicans can win in 2016 with Kasich at the top of the ticket
NH suffers 4th worst outage on record