Home » News » Public Safety
Search for missing Conway teen grows in intensity
Abigail Hernandez was reported missing by her mother, Zenya Hernandez. Police said when her mother returned to their home at 86 Village Way Wednesday, the teenager was not there.
Hernandez, reached Thursday evening, began to speak to a Union Leader reporter about her daughter's disappearance, but a woman identifying herself as "the county attorney" abruptly ended the interview.
At a news conference Thursday evening, Police Chief Edward Wagner said police are handling the matter as a missing person case.
"There's no reason to believe that this is any more than a missing person case right now," he said. "We'll search the area where Abigail was last seen and the search will continue into tonight and tomorrow."
Jane Young, senior assistant attorney general, said the Attorney General's Office, which typically takes over homicide investigations, is in Conway to help search for Abigail.
Young said the Attorney General's Office is providing investigators and attorneys to help.
"This is what we do in New Hampshire," she said. "We come together and we work together.
So far, the investigation has included witness interviews, a search of Abigail's home and the surrounding area and traces of phone calls. Her name was submitted to the National Crime Information Center as a missing person.
She was last seen wearing black yoga or stretch pants, a gray sweatshirt and black boots.
New Hampshire Union Leader staff reporter Ted Siefer contributed to this report.
READER COMMENTS: 1
- Missing Massachusetts woman returns home - 0
- Nashua man's condition upgraded after Hudson bicycle-car collision - 0
- Missing autistic Maine teen found in Jefferson woods - 0
- Nashua bicyclist hurt in collision with car - 0
- Three injured in Route 16 accident in Ossipee - 0
- State fire marshal urges eventual ban on all fireworks - 23
- Manchester welcomes 14 new police recruits - 7
- Hampton police searching for missing Mass. woman - 0
- Officials mum on investigation of Lyman infant's death - 1
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Mazzaglia to be sentenced Aug. 14 for murder of UNH student - 0
- Lost Massachusetts hikers found safe in NH - 0
- GOP criticizes Shaheen flip flop on gas tax - 6
- No one has a clear claim to NHMS supremacy - 0
- Sentence fragment: Coco's cuckoo release - 0
- Charles Arlinghaus: Does Concord have a big spending problem? - 1
- Ban fireworks? Get serious - 5
- Another View - Kevin Smith: Londonderry is showing how to make NH business-friendly - 0
Police say Manchester woman arrested for punching ex-boyfriend during custody exchange in Walmart parking lot
Bikers say under-30 generation isn't interested, and can't afford many of the top motorcycles
Ban fireworks? Get serious
GOP criticizes Shaheen over gas tax