Home » News » Public Safety
Search for missing Conway teen grows in intensity
Abigail Hernandez was reported missing by her mother, Zenya Hernandez. Police said when her mother returned to their home at 86 Village Way Wednesday, the teenager was not there.
Hernandez, reached Thursday evening, began to speak to a Union Leader reporter about her daughter's disappearance, but a woman identifying herself as "the county attorney" abruptly ended the interview.
At a news conference Thursday evening, Police Chief Edward Wagner said police are handling the matter as a missing person case.
"There's no reason to believe that this is any more than a missing person case right now," he said. "We'll search the area where Abigail was last seen and the search will continue into tonight and tomorrow."
Jane Young, senior assistant attorney general, said the Attorney General's Office, which typically takes over homicide investigations, is in Conway to help search for Abigail.
Young said the Attorney General's Office is providing investigators and attorneys to help.
"This is what we do in New Hampshire," she said. "We come together and we work together.
So far, the investigation has included witness interviews, a search of Abigail's home and the surrounding area and traces of phone calls. Her name was submitted to the National Crime Information Center as a missing person.
She was last seen wearing black yoga or stretch pants, a gray sweatshirt and black boots.
New Hampshire Union Leader staff reporter Ted Siefer contributed to this report.
READER COMMENTS: 1
- Talk of 'wings on pigs' threats on police tests U.S. speech rights - 0
- Brentwood police look to increase coverage after officer's death in May - 4
- Police investigate report of shots fired - 0
- Manchester blaze that left dozens homeless was accidental - 0
- Milford woman injured in Bedford crash - 0
- Park on any side of the street in Manchester during Christmas week - 0
- NYC mayor wants protests on hold after police deaths - 0
- Mother of two says she's lucky, even though condo destroyed in blaze - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Two Manchester women arrested in separate shoplifting incidents in Hooksett - 1
- Maine police search car belonging to husband of Londonderry shooting victim - 0
- Man arrested after chase, threatening to shoot police in Bow - 0
- Good Samaritan pins Manchester purse snatcher - 0
- Homeless man who saved woman from river: 'I don't consider myself a hero' - 9
- High School Basketball: Rivalries renewed in QCIBT - 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Patriots Notebook: Will they get everything on their list? - 0
- Tuohy brothers add new restaurant in familiar spot - 0
- New Horizons volunteers deliver groceries and good cheer, making Christmas special - 0
Londonderry schools placed on lockdown after soldier's unplanned visit to high school causes alarm
Police say woman tried to steal 15 iPads