Tensions mount over Middleton school withdrawal proposal
The committee to study the feasibility of withdrawing from the Authorized Regional Enrollment Area (AREA) Agreement seek to have a final draft of their findings and a minority report before its next session on Tuesday, Oct. 22 at 6 p.m. in the Middleton Municipal Building.
A draft proposes two options: entering into a new agreement to send Middleton students in grades 7 to 12 to the Gov. Wentworth Regional School District in Wolfeboro or withdrawing all students from Farmington. The latter option is contingent on Middleton residents approving to build a school to educate students through grade 6, according to the draft report.
Joel Chagnon, who represents Farmington School Board on the committee, said he’s heard from “a lot of residents” who don’t want Middleton students to leave, especially since the loss of revenue will affect Farmington taxpayers.
After holding two joint sessions in the past, including one with members from the N.H. Department of Education, the two school boards will conduct separate efforts to inform voters and to address concerns from residents.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Three named to Manchester school posts - 0
- Derry Early Education Program to relocate - 0
- Manchester panel OKs new academic standards, despite Common Core criticism - 2
- Nashua school staff see tests as key to tracking student growth - 0
- Two Manchester schools off 'priority' list - 0
- Nashua officials seek advice on issue of student cellphone searches vs. privacy - 9
- Manchester school district makes bid to run Job Corps center - 2
- NEASC votes to reaccredit Central High - 1
- Londonderry school policy updates sought - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Distracted legislating: Our baseless cellphone ban - 0
- Another View -- Betsy McCaughey: Our free lunch President - 0
- Another View -- Karlyn Borysenko: Workplace bullying is a serious problem, governor - 0
- Workplace abuse: Governor gets one right - 0
- Red Sox pull Lester from Wednesday start amid trade rumors - 0
- Accused Abby kidnapper Kibby had past minor brushes with police - 0
- Police say youths at New Boston underage drinking party resisted arrest - 0
- Man hospitalized following Rochester shooting; suspect still at large - 0
- Muskrats, Swamp Bats split twinbill - 0
Win tickets to see ZZ Top
Win tickets to see the Pretty Reckless
Abby's alleged kidnapper held on $1M bail
When company comes, opt for variety
Voting in NH: Not just for NH residents
Gorham man arrested for kidnapping Abigail
Market Basket community waits and watches