South Elm Street ready for growth, Manchester panel says
Construction continues on the new state liquor store on South Elm Street in Manchester. (DAVD LANE/UNION LEADER)
What's missing in the redevelopment equation is housing, which is where panelist Ron Dupont, president of Red Oak Apartment Homes, hopes to make a difference. His plan for a $10 million, mixed-use project on 1.75 acres spanning several parcels opposite the Market Basket building is the most ambitious proposal in the works. Preliminary plans call for a four-story building with retail or commercial space on the street level, and housing on the second, third and fourth floors, with 100 to 120 apartments or condos.
"Downtown America is making a comeback," he said. "The only question in Manchester on South Elm is, will we do a good job."
Aldermen toured the site in the summer, but have so far declined to settle the matter by vote, urging both sides to work out an agreement.
READER COMMENTS: 1
- Enrollments declining in Hudson, but school budget increases still expected - 0
- New NHIA president painting a picture of expansion - 0
- Sources say former White House Chief of Staff Andy Card to be tapped as Franklin Pierce president - 3
- Students prepare to set sail at Tri-City Christian Academy - 0
- Local teacher makes trip to arctic - 0
- Teacher 'thrilled' at being reinstated - 7
- Scholar of the Month: Plymouth junior operates on 'full-sprint theory' - 0
- Software upgrade delays grades - 0
- Derry School Board to hold forum on Facility Needs Study - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Police say hit-and-run driver was observed tossing beer cans from car - 0
- City championship on the line Thanksgiving Day - 0
- Your Turn, NH -- Mike Moffett: Republicans can win in 2016 with Kasich at the top of the ticket - 0
- On being American: A point for reflection - 0
- Charles Arlinghaus: 'Tis the season for budget games and gimmicks - 0
- Police say woman stole pocketbook at Hudson Market Basket - 0
- Police say former manager of Hudson McDonald's stole $10k from restaurant - 0
- Manchester school exec contract squeaks by - 0
- Dartmouth gets 10 picks on All-Ivy team - 0
Pipes and plans: A chance to show up Mass.
Manchester school exec contract squeaks by
Your Turn, NH -- Mike Moffett: Republicans can win in 2016 with Kasich at the top of the ticket
On being American: A point for reflection