South Elm Street ready for growth, Manchester panel says
Construction continues on the new state liquor store on South Elm Street in Manchester. (DAVD LANE/UNION LEADER)
What's missing in the redevelopment equation is housing, which is where panelist Ron Dupont, president of Red Oak Apartment Homes, hopes to make a difference. His plan for a $10 million, mixed-use project on 1.75 acres spanning several parcels opposite the Market Basket building is the most ambitious proposal in the works. Preliminary plans call for a four-story building with retail or commercial space on the street level, and housing on the second, third and fourth floors, with 100 to 120 apartments or condos.
"Downtown America is making a comeback," he said. "The only question in Manchester on South Elm is, will we do a good job."
Aldermen toured the site in the summer, but have so far declined to settle the matter by vote, urging both sides to work out an agreement.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Jonah Goldberg: There was a time when we stood up to threats against free speech - 0
- Why I voted against the 'CRomnibus' spending bill - 18
- Another View -- Devon Chaffee: Why interrogators believe America should never torture - 2
- David Harsanyi: GOP establishment, stop whining - 0
- John Stossel: Individual giving beats government giving - 3
- BANANAS and NH's energy needs - 5
- Gruber should have been Time's 'Person of the Year' - 5
- In NH, overhunting of RINOs is causing problems - 24
- Another View -- Shawn Jasper: It is time to get to work for the people of NH - 16
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Another View -- Bill O'Brien: Ask your state rep. to vote for transparency in the House - 0
- Old friends and a 'homeless angel' make for good stories anytime - 0
- Clooney gets it: Sony attack was not a 'crime' - 0
- New coats warm city kids, firefighters' hearts - 0
- NHIAA Roundup: Martin, Pinkerton top Salem in tournament - 0
- Inmate reported missing from Concord transitional unit - 0
- College Roundup: SNHU women win - 0
- Merrimack's Schaller scores first NHL goal, but B's get win - 0
- For Rex Ryan, another close loss to Pats - 0
The Sony hack: Kim's judgment of Obama
Tensions boil over after NYC police killings
'Everybody was extremely fortunate'