Push on to deal with Manchester panhandling, other illegal behaviors
Other workshops will address education, transportation and downtown economic development issues. They include discussing challenges created by the Port of Portsmouth’s inability to accommodate the newest class of super freighters and Manchester-Boston Regional Airport’s decline in passenger travel. Workshops also will address education, key infrastructure projects, and south Manchester’s potential for economic development.
Today, city leaders, business people, economic development experts and others will learn how Burlington, Vt., and Portland, Maine, dealt with the issue.
The center’s Street Outreach Team distributes copies of the city’s aggressive panhandling ordinance to panhandlers so “everyone knows what the rules are,” he said.
“They come here, they don’t know the rules. They become intoxicated. They sleep in the parks and they get into trouble,” he explained. Problems generally subside by early summer through public education, outreach and community policing, Young added. One of his Street Outreach Team members, Tammy Boudah, will be a panelist at today’s summit.
Manchester Police Chief David Mara also will sit on the panhandling workshop.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Another View -- Karlyn Borysenko: Workplace bullying is a serious problem, governor - 0
- Another View -- Fred Hiatt: Disengage from the world, and this is what happens - 0
- David Harsanyi: Are teachers really underpaid? - 9
- Jonah Goldberg: The U.N. club needs higher standards - 0
- Another View -- Mike Biundo: Where is Shaheen's gas price outrage now? - 20
- Deroy Murdock: What if Gaza were San Diego instead? - 1
- Another View -- Jayne Millerick: Dems scaring women by misleading them on contraception - 55
- Another View -- Charles Lane: Obamacare and the Constitution - 22
- John Stossel: Why are we giving the police so much power? - 1
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Distracted legislating: Our baseless cellphone ban - 0
- Workplace abuse: Governor gets one right - 0
- Red Sox pull Lester from Wednesday start amid trade rumors - 0
- Accused Abby kidnapper Kibby had past minor brushes with police - 0
- Police say youths at New Boston underage drinking party resisted arrest - 0
- Man hospitalized following Rochester shooting; suspect still at large - 0
- Muskrats, Swamp Bats split twinbill - 0
- Jays' Stroman stymies Red Sox - 0
- Police seeking help to identify alleged credit card thieves - 0
Win tickets to see ZZ Top
Win tickets to see the Pretty Reckless
Abby's alleged kidnapper held on $1M bail
When company comes, opt for variety
Dover man sought in Rochester shooting
Supporters are now 'Abby Strong'
Canobie Lake Park shuts down popular ride