Push on to deal with Manchester panhandling, other illegal behaviors
Other workshops will address education, transportation and downtown economic development issues. They include discussing challenges created by the Port of Portsmouth’s inability to accommodate the newest class of super freighters and Manchester-Boston Regional Airport’s decline in passenger travel. Workshops also will address education, key infrastructure projects, and south Manchester’s potential for economic development.
Today, city leaders, business people, economic development experts and others will learn how Burlington, Vt., and Portland, Maine, dealt with the issue.
The center’s Street Outreach Team distributes copies of the city’s aggressive panhandling ordinance to panhandlers so “everyone knows what the rules are,” he said.
“They come here, they don’t know the rules. They become intoxicated. They sleep in the parks and they get into trouble,” he explained. Problems generally subside by early summer through public education, outreach and community policing, Young added. One of his Street Outreach Team members, Tammy Boudah, will be a panelist at today’s summit.
Manchester Police Chief David Mara also will sit on the panhandling workshop.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Outrageous waste: You overpaid by how much? - 8
- City summer: Check out Manchester - 0
- Ignoring Lyme: What are state, towns doing? - 2
- Sentence fragment: Coco's cuckoo release - 2
- Ban fireworks? Get serious - 13
- Praising freedom: While curtailing it - 16
- Fergus Cullen: No politics buffer zone - some want issue unsettled - 7
- The perfect winner: Mrs. Craig gives when she receives - 0
- A sacred rite denied: Partial justice in Marriott murder - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Portland takes first of two from NH Fisher Cats Saturday - 0
- Readers' Choice winners say public vote is meaningful - 0
- Amherst mini-golf course is readers' top choice - 0
- Twins Smoke Shop focuses on good cigars, happy clients - 0
- 'Backstage' NASCAR passes are fans' delight in Loudon - 0
- Motorcyclist killed, passenger injured when hit by car in Manchester accident - 0
- Bicyclist injured when hit by car in Hudson - 0
- Police hope for driving dream, but prepared for driving nightmare in Loudon - 0
- Police investigate serious accident in Manchester - 0
New Hampshire events starting on July 13
Houston hands Red Sox a loss Saturday